View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 PM
trevius
Developer

Another possible fix for dual/quad cores is to make sure windows is updated. Windows XP SP3 is out and it includes the fixes needed for correcting multiple core issues. There are also hotfixes you can download for SP2 without having to completely update to SP3 if you don't want to for whatever reason. Windows Vista should already have the needed updates.

Yet another thing to try if you are still having issues is to turn off CPU throttling by doing the following:

1. Right click on your desktop
2. Left click on Properties
3. Select the Screen Saver Tab
4. Click the "Power..." button in the lower right
5. Select "Always On" from the drop-down under Power Schemes
6. Click OK
7. Click OK

That will keep your processor from throttling, which means it will always stay at the same speed. The AMD Cool and Quite technology lets the PC change to slower speeds and lower voltage to make it run cooler and use less power, which is great for extending laptop battery time. But, it can cause issues with certain applications that don't know when the CPU is supposed to be running fast or slow, like EQ of course.

You may also want to make sure that all of your hardware is compatible, if you recently built a new PC. I found an issue that caused EQ to lag out like crazy every 30 seconds or so and then go back to normal. Turned out my CPU was not compatible with my MB even though it was in the same family of CPUs that were listed as being supported. Apparently, there are issues with some MBs and the new 125W Dual and Quad Core CPUs.

That is most of the fixes I am aware of. There are a couple others, but they are more complex like Registry edits, and don't have much chance of fixing the problem if these fixes didn't work already.