View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 07:49 PM
trevius
Developer

Trying to answer as many questions here as possible. Though, most of my answers will have to be pure speculation for now unless I mention otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslamarch View Post
will there be a minilogin version, or still have the option to use Images minilogin? I really hope this does not force users to be stuck with out options.

Quote:
This also requires that we change the server code in all SVN releases after this change occurs so that it will only work with this new Login Server as the old one will be completely obsolete.
I really Hope this will have an option at compile time?
All current Login Servers and Mini-Login Servers will no longer be compatible with the future EQEmu code updates. This is because of the major overhaul to the entire Login System and it would be pointless to try to create code to handle both the old and the new, as the new code should handle every aspect of the Login process. This is to say that I believe for Public and Private Servers, they will both be able to use this new solution to serve their needs and not have to rely on a Public Login Server for it to work. I haven't heard the full details on it, but I am sure the solution would also cover LAN play for people who are not connected to the internet. So, you will not even need an option at compile time

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
Nice status quo I would say. Anyone who wants to be able to continue working with the current LS I released I suggest staying on your code base. This could be an attempt to lock back into a single LS again.

Edit: I say this as a warning because this is so vague about the real issue.
Yes, you are right that anyone switching to the new Login Server options will no longer be able to use the code updates from EQEmu as they won't be compatible once the new system comes into effect. And yes, part of it is so that the EQEmu team who develops the code for the server also takes responsibility for how the users Login to their servers running that code. While some may think that this might be so we can control the users, it is actually so we can provide reliability to them while also ensuring that they are using a service that they can fully trust.

Also, yes it is vague, but that is mostly because the final details haven't been worked out. Also, I have said almost everything I have been informed about it so far, but I will definitely be clarifying the details as I hear them and get approval to pass on the information to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stappy View Post
Great job...but do you mean soon as in the next few hours, days, weeks? Just want to not sit at my desk if im not playing.
You know as much as I do at this point as far as an ETA goes. It definitely isn't hours away, but maybe a few days or a week or so is more reasonable. This is all still heavily reliant on doodman to pass the needed information to the team so it can be finalized. It is being worked on as hard as is possible right now, and believe me that we want it as bad as everyone else does, if not more!