Thread: Real Instancing
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

I like the idea of having spawngroups for their own instances, however, the point of instances in EQ at least is to scale NPCs based on their existing info versus the players going into the instance, at least what I think this is for in LDON.

It would be MUCH better to add a field in npc_types that can be enabled to scale that NPC to level of the clients entering the zone when the NPC is loaded from spawn2, rather than having a bunch of multiples of the same NPC for the same zone. This way, we don't have to populate each instance by hand and place them, and do a lot of unnessesary copy & paste. For the instances where we don't need level scaling, the flag can be turned off, but the zone can be flagged as an instance as well. If the zone is *not* flagged as an instance, and the field in npc_types is turned on, they will still scale and this will add another feature for server OPs to use. This eliminates the need for any kind of un-needed tables.

The problem would be basing it off of the client. I suggest using the first client that goes into the instance, just like SOE does.

Lemme know what you think, and if it would be feasable, especially the client part.

Last edited by Secrets; 05-07-2009 at 06:12 AM..