View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:35 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
This is going really fast so I apologize, I didn't see either of these issues resolved but maybe I missed it:

equip_chest2 is the field that we fill with "texture".

Also you talked some about serializing items and I'm not sure I understand the problem. We pass an internal serialized item struct to the struct strategy which is:

signed short
ItemInst*

Which we then proceed to turn into a string, turning it into a binary structure instead would be trivial in theory. Is there something I'm missing?
Ahh, thanks, I was thinking that equip_chest2 was probably texture. I will try to get that going tonight too if I can find it.

And yeah, I figure that switching the item structure from being serialized as a long string into being serialized as a binary structure is very simple stuff. But don't forget that I am still quite a noob and without a good example to work from for something that big, I just don't know what to do. That is why I was asking for a little help with it. I posted the structure that it should be above. Lots of those will just basically be unknowns until we can build the rest of the stuff to pull those fields from the database. Adding that other stuff in won't be a problem once the basics are working. I just don't know how to make it do that serialize in binary instead of a string! If you could do that for me, it would help in a huge way!

Note that right now, the clientinventory encode is set to just send an empty item packet until the real item structure is in place.

Anyway, like I said before, I figured changing items from a string to binary would be simple, I just don't know how to do it. Does that scare you people that just spent 6$ on SoF?

Items are a really huge factor holding back SoF from being done. KLS, if it doesn't take much time, do you think you could possibly make the change in the SoF patch files so it sends it as binary instead? I think once I see how you write it, I should be able to move stuff around if needed to get it functioning. I don't think you have a copy of SoF yet, so you probably can't test it. Don't worry about messing up the SoF patch file and updating the SVN with them as long as it doesn't break the compile.

I think I could figure out how to do it, but each time I try, I wind up getting stuck and having to revert back to the SVN revision.