Thread: Say Links
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 AM
trevius
Developer

Thanks for the info

I had thought about doing something like that, but it wouldn't be quite as ideal as what I am wanting to do with it. Basically, I want to make the saylinks an option to players. So, if they prefer clicking the links, they can click them, but if they prefer to just type the phrase, they can do that as well. And, it wouldn't require any extra scripting to handle the saylinks or normal say messages. I know at least a few players who play almost solely with the keyboard and only ever have to touch their mouse when they are looting a corpse.

The idea you had would work fine, but it would make quest scripting a bit more involved, which is one of the main things I am trying not to do. If I can't get the way I am wanting to do it working, we could definitely put it in the way you have it coded though.

Here is the difference of what it would take to write the same exact quest to use your code as it would for what I am suggesting (including the option to /say the phrase):

Your idea:
Code:
my $test1 = quest::saylink("test,1");

sub EVENT_SAY {
  if($text=~/Hail/i) {
    quest::say("Would you like to $test1 a say link?");
  }

if($text=~/SayLink1/) {
    quest::say("The test was a success!");
  }
  if($text=~/test/i) {
  }
}
My idea:
Code:
my $test1 = quest::saylink("test");

sub EVENT_SAY {
  if($text=~/Hail/i) {
    quest::say("Would you like to $test1 a say link?");
  }

if($text=~/test/i) {
  }
}
Not really a huge deal, but it would get tougher to manage if you have long scripts with lots of phrases and text.

I really appreciate the help on this though. I think it will be something cool to play with when it is all done. I bet players will be really surprised to see it when it first shows up on servers. And, I bet it isn't long before EQLive has something similar lol.

Last edited by trevius; 04-20-2009 at 02:12 PM..