Thread: Say Links
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
trevius
Developer

I thought about using the augments section for handling the phrase, but coding that is out of my skill range. It would have to be able to take the string and then fill in the rest of the nulls after it to make sure that it builds the link properly. Then, after the link is clicked, it would need to have a way to take each of those fields and tie them together and then convert them back into a string.

If you know how to do that, I am sure 40 characters would be plenty for almost any scenario. That would probably be the best possible way to handle say links. By putting the string into the actual link, the item ID wouldn't matter at all. So, the item ID that the quest::saylink() command creates could be hard set to 999999 (or any other invalid item ID number) for all links it creates.

Also, an a related topic, I was playing with the code you posted to handle saylinks and was trying to get it to work where you only input the item ID, and have it create a normal item link from just that. There is already a quest command for quest::itemlink(), but that command causes the NPC to send a tell to the player with a link to the item. Something I have wanted for a long time is a very simple way to create an item link to an actual item that can be set as a variable for use in the middle of a say message. On Storm Haven, we currently have to do something like this to create an itemlink:

Code:
my $cloth_cap = sprintf("%c%06X%s%s%c",0x12,1001,"000000000000000000000000000000000000000","Cloth Cap",0x12);

sub EVENT_SAY {

if ($text =~/Hail/i) {
  quest::say ("Here is a link to a $cloth_cap."); }

}
While that isn't overly complex to do, it would be nice if we could do something like this instead:

Code:
my $cloth_cap = quest::itemlink(1001);

sub EVENT_SAY {

if ($text =~/Hail/i) {
  quest::say ("Here is a link to a $cloth_cap."); }

}
The way you wrote the quest::saylink() command above actually works nicely for this. But it could be simplified a bit more by having it do a GetItem() and then an item->name to automatically populate the name of the itemlink. I worked with what you wrote for a while last night, but everything I tried to do was crashing the zone lol. Not trying to derail this thread at all, but figured I would mention this since I worked on it a while last night.