View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:

I am trying to figure out why WoW Emulator servers can handle 2000 players with only 1 or 2MBs of upload bandwidth (at least that is what I have heard). If it is true, then there definitely has to be something we can cut down by alot to help reduce bandwidth. And, I am almost positive that WoW doesn't send all spawn information to all players, I think they do a radius type thing like I am suggesting.
its a good notice. A friend of mine plays wow his loading time is INSTANT from desktop into the game.
Thsi may have to do soemthign with wow inherited seamless zoning structure - the game is inheretly designed to be zoneless (with few exeptions) and this means any given player is only been sent information of some small surrounding area. However this does not mean that mobs are not up.

Now even with all those "wow" features (wow world is much smaller than eq, but on other hand a player is only present in a single zone at a time) the diffirence in numbers of players supported is massive - there got to do be something we missing in how to handle server performance