View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 05:52 AM
trevius
Developer

Maybe if there was a way to adjust how far away the regular movement updates get sent. I use MQ which helps a ton with developing content and standing in the main part of Dreadspire, I can see probably 50 mobs in the entire main section all moving very accurately and seemingly sending multiple updates per second. It seems to be somewhere around 800 distance away. I can only ever see a max of 400 distance in the entire zone since it is all indoors. So, if I could somehow set that range on a per zone basis, that might help a bit. Also, if it was possible, I wouldn't mind the option to completely disable the zonewide 1 minute updates on a per zone basis. I don't see why my client even needs to be aware of mobs outside of my visual range other than for MQ purposes, which really has no part in actual game play.

I know that the rule for it could be adjusted, but for some zones, the location information might be more important than others. And I know for a fact that those updates are pretty heavy on the server or bandwidth. At one point, I tried setting those zonewide updates in the rules to be every 1 second, because I didn't know what it was doing exactly. With it set that way, my server was so insanely laggy that it was unplayable after a few people logged on. Even 1 time per minute, if you multiply that times 60 clients on the entire server, you are averaging a zone wide update to 1 client per second. Double the players to 120, which is about the max my server can handle and it goes up to an average of 2 zonewide updates per second.

Then, once you start factoring in combat spam that has to go out to each client, a big raid can cause a significant hit to bandwidth and performance. If all of those players were all fighting in separate areas, they would only be receiving their own combat spam, but all in a tight area, everyone gets everyone's combat spam, so it multiplies what needs to be sent by how many characters are there.

I think the AE issue with rampage is more of a server resource issue than it is on bandwidth, since AndMetal brought it up. The main reason to think this is because it is one of the few things that can an will crash a zone if you have too many mobs in the rampage pull. I don't think bandwidth can cause a zone crash, just cause lag and LDs. Only high running processes or bugs can cause crashes, or at least that is my guess. I think a rampage pull of 30+ mobs is just too much combat spam all hitting at the exact same time for the server to handle at once.

I am sure there are some solutions to help this stuff considerably. Even a 20% decrease in bandwidth could make a considerable difference on home run servers that don't have practically unlimited upload speeds. Right now, I think players seem to average about 5k per player on normal use. Though, that probably spikes up a lot during large raids.