Thread: Say Links
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
trevius
Developer

Just thought of a way to make this considerably more simple to use. Basically, everything would remain the same, accept you would no longer need to update the saylink table manually or via commands at all. The only thing people wanting to use this system would need to do would be to add the quest::saylink() functions into their quest::say() messages to replace the current ones they have set.

The idea is that the quest::saylink() command would do it's query of the saylink table to see if it had a matching string. If it doesn't find a match, the new idea is that it would simply create one itself at the time the link is generated. So, once the scripts have the quest::saylink() command added, as players go through the quest prompts in-game, it will populate the saylink table automatically and then save them for future use.

I think this is probably about as simple as it can get. Now, if only I can figure out how to actually make it do all of that properly :P

By using this system along with the $client->Message function, you could in theory have complete conversations between the player and an NPC without any other player seeing a single message. This seems like it might be useful in highly populated city areas to reduce spam considerably. It also might make some players feel more comfortable to go through all of an NPC's quest prompts. I know at least a few people who feel like they are spamming others when they speak with NPCs, and so they are shy about doing it. I can't wait to try this system out if it ever gets completed. Any suggestions are more than welcome

Last edited by trevius; 04-20-2009 at 03:33 AM..