View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
trevius
Developer

Getting an NPC to crash a zone is apparently much harder than I suspected it would be. Seems like the devs made the emu too stable :P

So far I have tried:
quest::castspell(12011,0000) - to cast a spell on itself that doesn't exist.
quest::castspell(12011,13) - To have the NPC cast a spell on itself that does exist while it is wearing an item with an "unknown spell" for the focus type.
quest::selfcast(0000) - Does nothing without a target.
quest::depop(1111111111) - to depop a mob that doesn't exist.
quest::spawn(19011,0,0,0,0,-20) to spawn a mob I made that has a buff spell list I created which the spells in the list don't exist. The mob spawns, but doesn't cast anything.
quest::echo(#zoneshutdown) - Wouldn't it be awesome if that actually worked?
quest::shout("spam spam spam spam etc for about 10 lines worth") - Does the shout, but just truncates it.

I have been working on this for hours and can't figure out a way to do it. If anyone knows of a sure way to crash a zone without lagging the entire server, please let me know! Or if someone knows how to make a perl call that will let an NPC run the GM command for #zoneshutdown, that would be ideal!

Once I get this crash or shutdown working, this script will be ready to start using. I really think it will help clear up server lag enough to allow quite a few more players on a server at once, as well as less intervention from admins to reset the server daily. My events log on my PC reports 800 connections sometimes, even though I only get a max of 60ish on at once... I have a feeling that a lot of those connections are just left overs that can be cleared up with a zone reset or crash.