Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 01-17-2008, 06:27 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Default Question to developers on latest builds?

I am redaing the following from the build log:

==01/09/2008
KLS: Added the following rules:
Character:HealOnLevel (Default: false)
Character:FeignKillsPet (Default: false)
Character:ItemManaRegenCap (Default: 15)
Character:ItemHealthRegenCap (Default: 15)
Combat:UseIntervalAC (Default: false)
Combat:PetAttackMagicLevel (Default: 30)
NPC:SayPauseTimeInSec (Default: 5)
NPC:OOCRegen (Default: 0)

This is all truly awsome, but I don't see SQL change lines for DB?
Where this should be set??

Also not excatly sure what is this means?
"NPC:SayPauseTimeInSec (Default: 5)" ?

If this related for how long NPC will stop what he is doing when he is hailed? Speaking of which is is posible to increase default time NPC is paused for when he is Hailed? I find it nearly imposible to do quests with roaming mobs since they only stop for like 3 seconds and then run off out of range before I can type anything up
Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 AM
So_1337
Dragon

On topic: To set those rules, you'll have to go into game (or just edit the rule_values table in MySQL) and set them with the '#rules' command. That's the method I've been using, although I'm sure someone will know a better one. If you don't set them, then the default that is listed will be used.

I'm kind of glad you posted this, because now I understand what the NPC:SayPauseTimeInSec rule means! Thank you for clearing that up Although, this leads me to a...

Tangent: I'd noticed lately that we've had a lot of changes to the rules, but that there isn't always a good description of what exactly they do unless you go digging for the thread in which the rule was conceived of.

I know the devs have their work cut out for them around here as it is, and it's nice that we get a changelog with each build. However, is it possible that we create a thread for each build that contains discussion of the most recent build's changes?

I quite often play a custom game for Warcraft III called Defense of the Ancients, and I'm always a big nerd for the mechanics behind it. Every new version, a detailed changelog thread is started on their forum which takes the ambiguity out of the individual changes. This could help in our case by giving an easy place for feedback on any problems we find with changes, rather than having to start a new thread.

Just a thought. The last thing I want to do is shake things up around here when everyone's nice and comfy And hopefully I helped answer your question, Chaos.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

thank you for replying!

but you see this is wher I get confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_1337 View Post
On topic: To set those rules, you'll have to go into game (or just edit the rule_values table in MySQL) and set them with the '#rules' command. That's the method I've been using, although I'm sure someone will know a better one. If you don't set them, then the default that is listed will be used.
I do have my MySQl browser open and there are no field for any of the thigns mentioned above. I SUPPOSE I have to just type then in manualy? Just want to be sure =)
Cuase usualy when soemthign changes, there is SQL code provided in the logs for DB alteration. I guess this chage does nto requre addition of any new collumns?

Quote:
I'm kind of glad you posted this, because now I understand what the NPC:SayPauseTimeInSec rule means! Thank you for clearing that up Although, this leads me to a...
Actualy I have NO IDEA =) I am only think this MAYBY related =)
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 AM
So_1337
Dragon

I'm almost certain that's what that rule means, as I now remember Cavedude saying that NPCs on PEQ will now stop and stand still for 10 seconds when hailed, etc. So it must be from that rule. It took you suggesting it for it to make sense, though.

As for the rest, I find it's far easier to put the rules in from in game. For that rule, for instance, it'd be "#rules setdb NPC:SayPauseTimeInSec 10" and you have to remember that case counts on the actual rule name. Then do the same for other rules. The only thing that I find difficult about setting the rules in game is that you don't get to see the defaults when you list the rules. Though it's hard to find them anywhere else, either. Of course, I haven't done much looking to be honest

Now of course, you can do the same in MySQL, you just have to set it all manually. Or you could run a query, I guess. To add the rule we've been talking about with its default value, it'd be:

Code:
INSERT INTO rule_values VALUES(0,'NPC:SayPauseTimeInSec','5')
That's two ways to do it. I'm sure someone else has a better way.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Those rules are all currently on the PEQ CVS. Take a look at rule_values.sql. The only ones that are missing are the ones dealing with watermaps which I haven't gotten to updating yet.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Edit timeout expired. I hate that thing. Anyway:

Yes, NPC:SayPauseTimeInSec controls how long a NPC with sub EVENT_SAY will pause when triggered. The original hardcoded value was 5, which I found to be too short. 10 seconds is a lot more like it, and is what is currently on TGC. Also note due to this patch, NPCs will only stop if they have a sub EVENT_SAY. No other event will cause a NPC to pause, including an item hand-in.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Hrm. I guess it's only recently that we changed any rules away from PEQ's, because I hadn't noticed. I didn't realize it was included in the drop/load system series. That's twice today I've spread misinformation, damn.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 AM
KLS
Administrator

Rules don't need to be set if you're not changing it from the default. The default will be taken from the code if it doesn't find the SQL entry. Which is why new rules don't post a required SQL... because it's just not required.

#rules setdb Category:Rule is generally how I set my rules.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 AM
So_1337
Dragon

That's it, then, okay. I think the main reason I was confused on them never being in the rules_values table until I set them was for the reason you just said; I hadn't had to change them from the defaults before. Thanks for clearing that up