Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::GeorgeS's Tools

Development::GeorgeS's Tools A forum just for GeorgeS's tools

Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

For anyone with this problem trev helped me with the resolution. basically it wont work if there isnt a zone folder with the name of the zones short name located in the quest folder... so if you have this problem create a new folder in the quest folder and it should resolve this issue
Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS View Post
Hello , Thanks I'm back, and jet lagged like hell.

I'll start to upload the many tool updates later in the week.

I'll add the feature to the character loader so it will be alphabetized and handle large # of character in the db

Later
GeorgeS
Any chance you were able to look into getting that alphabetized, or is it already in there and I just don't know how to make it do it? Seems like mine are all still in some funky impossible to search order. I wouldn't even mind just a search box or something.

Thanks again man. The recent changes are amazing. These things keep exceeding my expectations with every release!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 AM
eski2
Hill Giant

I get crashes with the items editor if i try copying: "fieldunk123 doesn't have a value"; apologies if this is a known issue. I have a screenshot but i don't know if i can upload it here?

With the item editor, it can be hard to search for augments. I think it's a shame they aren't added to the drop lists for most mobs, or even just the boss mobs.

Is it possible with the Bot creator to have it allocate AAs such as extending buff bonuses, or is that too hard?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

The latest binary up is. Sorry for the late upload, but I thought it was already uploaded a week ago. Character loading is alphabetised now and 'should' handle many characters.

I'll look into the field unk123 issue. Anytime there's a null where there should'nt be will crash the program. I'll see if I can fix this.

Also, which item has this issue?

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM
eski2
Hill Giant

Seems to be any item. I load my character, select item, edit, then hit "copy" which i presume creates a new item id to safely change stats without altering the original?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

another REALLY nice feature would be a search function, not sure how hard that would be to add but man would it be nice in the item editor
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
moydock
Discordant

Yeah I agree, more precise searching anyway, the search now definitely works. Some nice options for me would be:
2HS
1HS
Piercing
1HB
2HB
Leather
Chain
Plate

Oh you probably mean a text search, yeah that would be cool too .
Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Ok, just added a generic search by %name% function. It in the Grid Item Edit, then click on expand a a whole bunch of stuff will show. These are cool little functions I wrote that does batch changes and other stuff. Look for the text box with %netted% - then change it to what you want, hit GO, then the items will appear. Any changes in this grid editor are live.

Add list to Main button propogates this grid list to the main window for adding to you character or other simple editing - etc..

regarding the 1HS/2HS type searches, I'll look into those once I figure it out, I'll add it to the program.

GeorgeS

Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
eski2
Hill Giant

I noticed a general problem with the tools where the screen is truncated, so that part of it is off the page, and there's no scroll bars to slide over. The close button, for example, is inaccessible. Is there some way i can paste a screenshot?

I'll also see that layers are out of sync, for example the calendar is displayed but the circle around the current date is shifted a row below.

I'm using a few settings for my system to compensate for poor vision so i don't know if that makes a difference.

I gotta say i love your tools. I can see how they could be improved but it's beyond me. For example, having the quest editor use a drop down list of available npcs, or a "create quest giver" option, with the preview you use for the texture/race combo".

Basically it would be cool to make things interconnect, to reduce the amount of potential stuff-ups by typing in an item id or npc id manually for the tools? I can see what i mean in my head but maybe a mock-up would make more sense. I used visual basic 4 back in the dawn of time, but i never did any database interaction. Perhaps what i'm thinking of would be too much work. I saw there was a link to your source code, is that current?

Maybe what i should do is try to see if visual basic 6 is available somewhere (i think my copy of vb4 used floppy disks and i don't even have the drive anymore!). I can only see Visual Studio stuff on the microsoft web page, I assume that's not compatible? I will ask my friends and see if i can borrow a cd with vb6.

I am certainly not a programmer but i can see the screens i want in my mind. Essentially i think the tools could use buttons and dropdown lists to avoid typing, because a huge amount of every quest is repeated with variations: give me item x and i give you y, say "blah" and i say "blah reply". I used to use a html tool (hotdog) which worked in the way i imagine this could work.

Does this sound interesting if somewhat hypothetical?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 AM
trevius
Developer

Eski, you might want to check into Bulle's quest tool that he has been working on. I think he is trying to make some kinda cookie cutter quest maker. Where you input a few fields and it pops out the quest. Should work in most simple and standard quests, but would be pretty useless in the more complicated ones. But, since the majority of live quests are cookie cutter, this would certainly reduce the work load.

GeorgeS' quest editor doesn't need a dropdown for NPCs, because it has a dropdown of zones, which list every NPC in that zone. So, all you have to do is select the NPC you want from that list and start editing your quest. IMO, it is very useful.

Most of his other tools do have interaction with multiple systems. His latest release of the NPC and Loot Editor has so many features and links to his other programs that it is just amazing! I can't believe some of the new changes, they are really great!

I was mainly coming here to post and say that they new sort feature works great for the list of players when loading equipment. I have a little over 5500 chars on my server and it is pretty easy to sort them now that they are alphabetical lol. I can find one in a few seconds now compared to normally more than 10 mins just to find 1 character before heh.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
eski2
Hill Giant

I tried using the custom npc making tool to make a merchant, but as far as i can tell, it creates the merchant but it's not easily added to the game. You have to load up the game and use the gm commands to add the spawn?

Is there any way to add the merchant without running eqemu and then the client, as that seems slow and clumsy? At least being able to spawn the new npc and then summon it into the correct location when you are happy might be nicer?

I can see the "Zone name" box in the merchant editor, but this isn't a drop down or combo, it will load a list of zones if clicked but clicking on one doesn't change the zone name. You have to choose "paste" rather than "select", and a drop down would communicate that better.

There's a merchant id created by the tool, but it doesn't create a new one as far as i can see?

I can go one, but i just want to emphasise that criticising these tools doesn't mean i don't like them, just that i can see grounds for improvement. I'd do it myself if i had better programming abilities and the source code.

I found a copy of vb6 from my partner's computing days and tried using it to open the projects from the source on the http://66.159.225.58/eqemu/eq.html site but it crashes with assorted errors. I don't know if the source code is old, the application i'm using is faulty or incompatible, or what.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

The zone name is not a drop down for reasons such as you have hundreds of zones and the current way is better IMHO.

I assume you have never spawned NPC's - there's a tutorial on my site on how to do this. Just because you can create a merchant in the tool, it does not spawn in game. You must restart the zone or if your're editing items, restart the server. The NPC is just a reference in a spawngroup and can be referenced by many spawngroups.

Regarding the tools, they were designed with my 'eye' in mine and since they are now derivatives of many years of work and much input from people, they will not be redesigned at this point. There are classes of tools that interact with each other, so a change here will break a tool over there.

You also need to run at "least" a 1024x768 as a minimum. The screen size issue has been discussed before.

Loading these into VB6 is not easy. You have to register the classes, the dll's,OCX's have ADO installed, MyODBC, SP6 for VB6.

GeorgeS

Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM
eski2
Hill Giant

I've spawned npcs and created a merchant for alchemy products using ndnet's code, your merchant tool and a bit of kludging about with excel. It's just a pain to have to hop in and out of the game to change something. still, if there's no easier way at this time, then that's the way it is. I run at 1280*1024 but i'm happy to try other resolutions.

This is at 1280 *1024

Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Well, I just downloaded your latest , and can tell you they are even better than what I had before, you really paid attention to small things that people need when they are working on areas of the database.
I think many new people expect to start a server and have it all running, editing npcs items, etc. with in a few hours. They go so fast, they don't even stop to read and understand the tutorials and instructions posted.
They must think your tools as some kind of "miracle construction kit" to where they can slap things together with little knowledge of what this is all about.
BtW, that spawn editor you made really rocks - I think one of the hardest things for me to deal with and understand was the relationships of all the spawn related tables. This spawn editor makes all this clear and simple.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Aramid
Discordant

Default Not Loading Spell Editor

George,

In 8.20.00 and 8.20.01 I am getting an error when trying to load the spell list editor. I can use the Show NPC Spell Set but when loading the Editor I keep getting the error 76 path not found. 7.33.01 works, which is the last one I had before D/Ling 8.20.xx