Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
takatok
Fire Beetle

Default Verifying I've got what I need.

I am trying to get a server up and running to test code with, and was following a guide by Techguy84, written about 11/2007 (latest i could find). Here's what I've downloaded so far and installed and want to make sure that I've got what I need and nothing has changed in the last 18 months

Revision628-Bots.zip
Maps.tar.gz
new_maps.zip (both map files from sourceforge)
msvcp71.zip
msvcr71.zip
MiniLogin6.2.zip
mysql-essential-5.0.82-win32.msi (mysql 5.0)
mysql-gui-tools-5.0-r17-win32.msi (mysql gui tools)
WinCvs2_0_2-4.zip

It also says to download ActivePerl 5.8.8.820 and Navicat 7.2.12.
All i can find is links to ActivePerl 5.10.X and Navicat 8.X Will I run into problems with the 5.10 perl installation? And is the newest version of navicat able to be run on the 5.0 MySQL?

Any help or advice ahead of time is appreciated, I'm terrible at getting big projects like this working

Tony
Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 PM
gaeorn
Developer

You no longer need WinCvs as the source code repository is SVN now.

The current code uses perl 5.10.x.

The latest maps can be found here: http://eqemumaps.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Maps
Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
takatok
Fire Beetle

Arrow

Thanks. Got all the programs installed. The guide suggested before moving onto the DB& quests to verify everything was installed correctly. Had a quick questiosn before I went on.

After installing perl (5.10.0 Build 1005), I got DBI installed (it already was), IO-STRINGY. However I coudln't find DBD. I searched the forums and found an alternate package to sue was DBIx-MySQL. However I coudln't find that either. All I could find was DBIx-MySQL-InformationSchema. Is that what I need?

Tony
Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 PM
takatok
Fire Beetle

Sorry about he double post.. I couldn't edit the previous one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeorn View Post

The current code uses perl 5.10.x
I tried starting up the server but I got an error saying it couldn't find perl58.dll. Is the above quote true? or should I be uninstalling 5.10 and trying to hunt down a copy of 5.8.8.820?

Tony
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
gaeorn
Developer

See section 3 of http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=VS2008
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Theeper
Discordant

The current standard revision (642) uses PERL 5.10. I'm not sure about those bot binaries. But if you compile yourself, you can just change from perl58.lib to perl510.lib at the top of two files .. world\EQWParser.cpp and zone\embperl.cpp
Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
takatok
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the link.. that will be handy later. Maybe its because i'm using Build 1005.. not 1004? Or possibly the compiled code I downloaded was from someone using MSVC++ 2006, and an older active perl?

Any way I solved my problem by using ActivePerl 5.8.9 Build 825.
If I totally uninstall that build and upgrade back to 5.10.0 Build 1005 I get this:

A) Couldn't find perl58.dll

or after I got the correct perl58.dll in my system32 directory (from a link on the forums).

B) "The procedure entry point Perl_hv_common_key_len could not be located in the dynamic link library perl58.dll"

Hopefully I won't run into issues compiling with 5.8.9 B825. But I'm not sure how to fix it as the server won't start under 5.10.0. For some reason the server keeps looking for a perl58.dll.

Tony
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Zandig
Hill Giant

Yes, you download code not compiled on VS2008.

As stated in the wiki, to compile your own code with VS2008 you must have Perl 5.10 to compile successfully. Otherwise you will get errors while compiling.

As it is now, you either compile your own code via VS2008 with Perl 5.10 or download the compiled code and use an earlier version of Perl. You can't mix and match without changing Perl versions!

PS:
Cavedude:
It would be great if you compiled the Windows download code with VS2008/Perl 5.10 to eliminate many of these Perl problems people are having when using their own compiled code and your download code. Just a friendly suggestion.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandig View Post
PS:
Cavedude:
It would be great if you compiled the Windows download code with VS2008/Perl 5.10 to eliminate many of these Perl problems people are having when using their own compiled code and your download code. Just a friendly suggestion.
That's the problem, I AM!!! I don't have a clue why people need to install Perl 5.8.9 as I have never installed that version on any of my Windows boxes. VS 2008 is a given because that's the only compiler I have on the machine that compiles for me. A perl -v just confirmed that I am indeed using Perl 5.10.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Zandig
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
That's the problem, I AM!!! I don't have a clue why people need to install Perl 5.8.9 as I have never installed that version on any of my Windows boxes. VS 2008 is a given because that's the only compiler I have on the machine that compiles for me. A perl -v just confirmed that I am indeed using Perl 5.10.

Thanks for clearing that up Cavedude!

Maybe they have some left over remnants of older Perl installs that are conflicting? Myself - I've never had any problems due to Perl.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

I'm pretty sure the version I ran was the first on a fresh install. However, before I do the next build I'll completely wipe and grab the newest version of Perl 5.10 and give it a try
Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
takatok
Fire Beetle

I wish it was just a problem with older perl versions mixing up. But I have never done anything with eqemu before , and had to fresh install sql 5.0, and perl. So the first time I tried to set thing up i used 5.10 as the first perl ever installed. I"m not sure why the rev628-bots code was looking for perl58.dll. Maybe something with the quests I checked out?

Well anyway the server is up and running and I'm currently setting up to compile the source with 2008. I'll rip out al the 5.8.9 stuff including all the old directories and every perlxx.dll and reinstall 5.10 and see if i cna get it to compile correctly

Thanks for all the help. Now that I got a server up.. I"m confident once I compile my own source I can resetup the server using that fairly easily.

Tony
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
takatok
Fire Beetle

Server I compiled with the trunk SVN worked great with Perl 5.10. Thanks again for all the help.

Tony