Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 05-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Shawkab
Fire Beetle

Default Old EQ UI - Impossible?

Has anyone ever put a huge effort into getting the EQ UI exactly like it was in the day?

I know there are some attempts to change the current .tga files to have different images, But Playing on Project 1999 and the ONLY thing keeping me from Nastalgia Orgasm is the damn UI looks disgusting, (even with the velius version ui look alike..) not that it wasn't a good job, I just can't stand the new Inventory screen, or the color of the spell gems etc etc..

I was messing around yesterday and it seems the huge issue is that from the Kunark version to the Trilogy version, the developers completely changed the the folders.. it use to be compacted in .S3D files, now it's all in a seperate folders.. UI folder with .xml instead of .xmi.. images in .tga instead of .bmp etc etc..

FYI, I am talking about this UI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSlZ...eature=related

It use to be like this, where you could switch between the 2 different UI looks, 1 being transparent, other being the old blocky one, but while in the transparent version, if you looted something or inspected someone it would switch to the old blocky ui looting look.

Is this impossible with the client the way it is now? I just want to ask before I dive into it, I have the old Kunark Client and it still has all the old UI files and was about to start messing with the .xml and .xmi files, but wanted to see if someone already tried already.. Seems to be a few people working on Classic servers and not wanting to release their ways of getting the UI to be old again. I can get onto my own server and mess around with the Old UI, taking pictures and pretending I did something, but playing on your own server with the old ui and playing on a live server with the old UI are two completely different things..
Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawkab View Post
Seems to be a few people working on Classic servers and not wanting to release their ways of getting the UI to be old again. .
I'm not sure what this means. Someone correct me if I'm wrong .. but any server that uses a client post-Trilogy, you can just look in the /uifiles folder to see their work. We put a good bit of effort into making the spell gems/icons etc. If you can do better, please do.

Also feel free to discuss this on our forums.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
steve
Discordant

It's impossible to get the old UI exactly as it was before. That's why there is only look-alikes available.

Well... not entirely impossible, but close. You would need an old client installation from CDs, circa release thru Velious (or Kunark if you didn't want the Velious ui). Then you would need a copy of the old emulator server code - you might be able to find this.

Then you need to make sure the old server code is compatible with the old client. This would require tracking down opcodes and all that good stuff. Not to mention, even if you did all of this, it would only be you on the server, since it's illegal to redistribute the client files.

Not to mention, the emulator back in those days was very hackishly put together. Did I mention you'd also need a database that was compatible with the server so that doors, NPCs, and spells will show up in game?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Shawkab
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
I'm not sure what this means. Someone correct me if I'm wrong .. but any server that uses a client post-Trilogy, you can just look in the /uifiles folder to see their work. We put a good bit of effort into making the spell gems/icons etc. If you can do better, please do.

Also feel free to discuss this on our forums.
I can't seem to register with the forums atm, it doesn't want to send me a confirmation email to any of my emails (hotmail, gmail, shaw..) was trying to so me and bro could play in same house, but no luck.. and I couldn't find anyone with an open source, not saying the UI you guys made was bad, was pretty sweet actually, I'm just saying i would like to get the the action bar etc to display like it did in the day.. and the gem icons to look proper, like this.

Right now they are forced to be a painted color, which i found a way to change, but they still don't look near as good. Wound up spending 8 hours today going through the UI, was able to get the Action bar to look a lot more like classic, and all but 2 of the gems slots display the oldschool gem icons now, not the painted ones.. not sure why I can't change the last two..

I kinda got the Class animated images to display properly as well.. but half them don't want to work.. Seems sony just took a massive dump on anything good verant did to make things easier to update when they release new expansions etc..

On the topic, does anyone have any idea how to get into the Old (kunark,) .xmi files?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Shawkab
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
It's impossible to get the old UI exactly as it was before. That's why there is only look-alikes available.

Well... not entirely impossible, but close. You would need an old client installation from CDs, circa release thru Velious (or Kunark if you didn't want the Velious ui). Then you would need a copy of the old emulator server code - you might be able to find this.

Then you need to make sure the old server code is compatible with the old client. This would require tracking down opcodes and all that good stuff. Not to mention, even if you did all of this, it would only be you on the server, since it's illegal to redistribute the client files.

Not to mention, the emulator back in those days was very hackishly put together. Did I mention you'd also need a database that was compatible with the server so that doors, NPCs, and spells will show up in game?
Ill just stick to modifying this one =P

My C++ sucks :(
Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 AM
steve
Discordant

Wow. I knew the spell gem selection was limited back then, but I didn't remember it was THAT limited :P Are you sure you want those back? There's much better player-made gems than those.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Shawkab
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Wow. I knew the spell gem selection was limited back then, but I didn't remember it was THAT limited :P Are you sure you want those back? There's much better player-made gems than those.
I find the classics the best