Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Breea
Banned

Default The Divine Reapers (custom/LEGIT) 99% uptime / 5 server network

From the admin:

Hello all, we are happy to announce the public launch of the Divine Reapers Emulated EverQuest server. Our primary focus is meticulous attention to detail to all Mobs, Spawns, and Quests to make them as live like as possible, including the environment and dynamic quests. We intend to keep the server open to the public on EQEMU's login server (look for DIVINE REAPERS). We hope to be a benefit to the EQEMU community and eventually become a perfered server down the road. Our community is at your service =).

Right now we are maintaining a 99% network uptime (world server, and zone servers) with a maximum of 20 users ever online so far. Our database is custom but credit is given to PEQ for their starter .sql, everything from Luclin and later is custom and meticulously copied from Live and Allakhazam by myself and my wife.

Right now we are finishing up on LoY with near perfect LoY spell quests. We will be offering open house on these zones spuraticaly to allow players to come in (zones being non-combat atm) and allow them to pick out any errors we may have over-looked.

Also as we are kicking off our server we have a TON of GM events lined up. YOU ARE NOT TOO LATE! We have only completed 3 of 20 GM events so far to introduce our server and allow player/GM interactions.

So far we have had:
1. Overking's Return to Power in Tutoriab
2. The Test of Might in arena
3. Open house and Dev intros in Gunthak

The rest will be announced as it progresses!

Our server is VERY community oriented and you can read more, and get involved at http://emu.norrath.info

The Game Master System
Currently we have a staff of 8 GM's; 5 of which are very close friends of each other, and have played together for years on Live some even family members of each other. As our server population grows, so will our need for service type and developer type GM's however we promote from the inside of our server, meaning we will promote a level 40 before a brand new level 10.

GM Requirements
You must have completed our GM training (2 week course).
You must have been a guide for at least 60 days.
You must have gained the 30th level before applying for Guide.
You must have TeamSpeak and a Microphone (its free www.goteamspeak.com) our server teamspeak.divinereapers.org

The Network (each server)
100 Mbit dedicated connections (each server).
Intel Quad Core CPUs
3 GB Ram
350 GB SCUSII Raid Mirror
LINUX OS
(Custom EQEMU compiles)

So far and via estimations we are able to handle most likely more than the community can throw at us but it is there if ever needed.

Last edited by Breea; 09-06-2007 at 12:03 AM..
Old 09-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Breea
Banned

Just an update the 4th Event has just been completed. There are now 16 more =).
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Vastlee
Fire Beetle

This sounds great, but I can't seem to find you in the server list. Maybe that 99% is dropping?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Breea
Banned

Its there been there, look for DIVINE REAPERS with some junk before and after it. (I think it says !!![LEGIT]!!! DIVINE REAPERS yada yada yada.

Last edited by Breea; 09-06-2007 at 10:53 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breea View Post
Its there been there, look for DIVINE REAPERS with some junk before and after it. (I think it says !!![LEGIT]!!! DIVINE REAPERS yada yada yada.
I wouldn't play just for this reason alone. No need to be at the top of the list of you are a good server.

But I sincerely wish you the best. Sounds like a real professional operation otherwise.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Elysius
Sarnak

Yeah the obnoxious server name turned me off too.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
soulshot
Hill Giant

Default Go for it

Hey don't listen to that garbage =) Build it and they will come! GL to you and I'll be keeping my eyes out for updates.

-Mard
Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 PM
boogerific
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breea View Post
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23517

All server ops should read that ^^^
Old 09-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Breea
Banned

I asked for the name to be changed, he did, but also said if we notice a drop in players or a lack of new players he would change it back. =S
Old 09-08-2007, 06:23 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Good show. It is the server itself that draws players, not where it sits in the list of other <locked> servers with 0 players. Provide great content, fair admins and GMs, fun events, and endless encounters that make players feel they are accomplishing something, and your server could be called "Zzzzzz!" and players will still play on it.

Good luck, again.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Its amazing to see people take this much intrest in thier servers. Most people just slap up something stock using a guide like mine and say "Cool Server Now Open" and its gone in a day cause that person ran it from thier home computer and they shut it down at night to save power. There is no comunication between players and Server OP's, as thier are no websites, and even if thier is a site, its just phpbb2 with 40 boards and 0 threads.

Now this one on the other hand is taking a stong business approach, which is a must if you want a great server. Look at PEQ for example. Great site, great crew, great player base. The only thing that cause this type of server to go down is lack of funding for dedicated boxes and lack of people to help run and maintain the game. So long as your team can afford to keep it going on your own for awhile, you should be fine. Dont go for donations just yet cause it will be more of a pain in the ass then anything else, plus you got to have players trust you and be grateful for what you have put together for them before they will donate.

Looks like a great set up though, but like everyone else says. Its not the <--====Name Here===--> that helps bring in people, its the quality of what is behind the name. Keep your name Normal but advertise and entice people to come to your server. Build a population and you could have "Crap Server" and people will still play on it.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Breea
Banned

We are hoping to actually bring something to the community not just sit day by day waiting for a fix or leach code =P We are here to help the best way we can, all of our GM's and Developers.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:33 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Interesting server you have here. Couple of small questions though.

A. What's the XP rate set at?
B. What build of the Emu are you running?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Lalolyen
Banned

We are running the latest build atm. Every time there is a new build we will compile it test it, and if it is working and not many people on, we will stop the server and start the updated/new one.

The exp rate is as close to live as we can get it. We do have level appropriate hot zones also set at the same exp rate as live.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:48 AM
boogerific
Sarnak

I wonder how many people here actually know the reason for the slower-than-molasses exp rate on Live? Evidently not too many. For some odd reason, "Live exp" seems to be some sort of standard that should be matched, otherwise gameplay would suffer? Nope. The *only* reason that Live sets their exp rate so low is to make money. You know, the Corporate Mentality thing. Keep the exp grind as slow as tolerable, call it a "gaming experience" and players are willingly duped into thinking that the exp grind is good, making them spend their money by the millions (collectively speaking) just to keep on top of it.

People can have just as rewarding of a gaming experience without having to spend ridiculous amounts of time leveling at Live exp rates.

Ever wonder why Live set AA exp at level 51 equivalency? It's what the market would bear. If they set it their normal rate people would be a lot more reluctant to bother with AA. Less time played, possibility of less people playing, dollars go down.

Tradeskills? Call the goal Accomplishment and a company can make something go as painfully slow as they want. Those people who played on Live before SOE decided to throw the players a bone in the form of the handy-dandy window that calls up recipes and does inventory know how that goes. Picking up each component, putting it in the container and hitting Combine took forever. I can just hear the meeting where they decided to change that. "What? Some players quit tradeskilling over that? Make it easier so we don't lose anymore revenue!!"

And so it goes... lol.

Last edited by boogerific; 09-11-2007 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: fixed some typos