Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM
lunaro21
Fire Beetle

Default unknown error running vista

when i get into the login server to choose a server i click on it and it says unknown error has occured when trying to connect to server. im running vista is there a way to try to fix this?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 PM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

Yes - here is the fix.

1. Uninstall Vista
2. Throw Vista install CD into the street
3. Pray that a semi comes by and smashes it to bits.
4. Reinstall XP

HA!

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that you have to run EQ as an administrator in Vista. Right click on the shortcut and run as an administrator ..or you can right click the shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility -> check the run as admin box. That should fix your problem, if not post back.

Regards,
Sonic
Old 09-02-2007, 07:34 PM
froglok23
Hill Giant

tbh, Vista > XP imho

-froglok
Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 PM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

I'm not going to argue about Vista ..some like it ..others do not ..I happen to be one of those who do NOT like it, after using it even. Just my 2cp

Sonic
Old 09-02-2007, 11:48 PM
froglok23
Hill Giant

cool cool

Ilike how you stated you HAVE used it, its been my epxeriance epople who havnt used it are die hard fans that they hate it lol

anywho, back on topic

-froglok

Last edited by froglok23; 09-03-2007 at 07:51 AM..
Old 09-03-2007, 12:30 AM
TheLieka
Developer

I would seriously only recommend playing EQEmu with Vista if you really enjoy detective novels. I don't think there are a lot of people that run it with Vista, and the errors that you get are going to be hard to track down.

I've used vista, and it's fantastic for some things, but overall, I'll be sticking with XP for a while (even with XP, you occasionally end up with some whacked out errors).

I wish I could help you, but even when your OS says the error is "unknown", there's not a lot I can do to help.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 09-03-2007, 03:18 AM
techguy84
Discordant

Well, being a Vista user myself. I have had ZERO issues. Yes, you read that right ZERO issues with EQ. I ran both Vista and XP back to back looking at various problems and I run into no more issues with Vista than I do with XP.

I do however on the other hand remember the massive F'job XP was when it first come out. Compared to Vista, XP looked liked complete garbage with errors and performance hits.

But before this turns into a Vista/XP bashing contest, im going back to the task at hand.

Lunaro, try to first delete and reinstall Titanium. Install it to another directory other than C:\Program Files since that directory and all its sub folders are securitized. Put it into somethign like C:\Everquest

After you do that, delete the eqclient.ini file and let it rebuild one from scratch.

Still no luck, try launching EQ in windowed mode. Still having bugs, try 100 times in a row to see if it EVER works (LS bug maybe).

Try backwards compatibility with Windows XP under the properties menu for the eqgame.exe file. Right click to get to this.

You should not have to run as Admin for EQ, no matter how much you have tired other solutions. Admin privlages are something EQ knows nothign about so its pointless to do this.

Your more than likely getting a hardware conflict due to maybe a widescreen monitor or a not so updated driver somewhere. Try updating drivers if your still using stock Vista ones.

Ect.... Ect......
Old 09-03-2007, 02:27 PM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglok23 View Post
cool cool

Ilike how you stated you HAVE used it, its been my epxeriance epople who havnt used it are die hard fans that they hate it lol

anywho, back on topic

-froglok
Haha yea, I always liked that too. Anyway, this really shouldn't have turned into a Vista vs XP thread - that was my fault due to my cynicism and I apologize for that. But I do feel compelled to reply because ..while I am anti-Vista at the moment, that doesn't mean I won't be using it a year from now. Techguy is right - when XP came out it was a jumbled mess also, and legions of slobbering Microsoft haters stormed the internet denouncing XP and Microsoft to no end ..and now ...XP is a well rounded useable OS for most. That will eventually happen with Vista, it will take time, like it usually does with Microsoft products. And who knows ..one day I may actually like it. But enough of that.

To the original poster: Techguy's suggestion might work better than mine - when I had Vista I actually didn't think to install EQ in a different directory. Anyhow let us know if it worked out for you. Good luck!

Regards,
Sonic

Last edited by sonicintuition; 09-03-2007 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Diuretic
Sarnak

I installed per Techguy's FAQ (I had the good fortune to print the PDF before he took it down).

I've had the same Vista 32-bit install since February, but I did get a -1006 unknown error when trying to install. I had to delete the installshield version per the Sony Support KB (probably there from eq2 or vanguard???).

Anyway, worked fine for me, so I'm interested in the error details.

Thanks,

~D
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 AM
gernblan
Discordant

Vista SUCKS.

Plain and simple.

Chuck it then bang your head against the wall about 100 times.

You're supporting an OS that takes away your privacy and freedoms.

THAT means nothing to you? You'd trade your freedom for AERO?

That's the real issue of Vista. It's flawed.. BY DESIGN.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast

Last edited by gernblan; 10-30-2007 at 09:17 AM..
Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Diuretic
Sarnak

Um, ok....

In any case, if you get a Vista-specific error message, please reply here because I've gotten everything up to minilogin working fine. The only out-of-the-box error was an out-of-sync InstallShield.

I'm happy to help.

~D
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 PM
TheLieka
Developer

Vista supports global warming.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Regardless how we all feel, VIsta is here to stay (so long as MS has the OS market cornered.
The 400.00 PC's in Walmart come pre-loaded with whatever MS wants (currently Vista) - so the next generation of pc shoppers will be getting Vista, like it or not.
Its always been like this, no one liked any of the windows versions at first, but eventually you like it (you're stuck with it).
I always build my own PC's and stay mostly in Linux - keep a Windows machine for things like Everquest client, a few other windows games and applications I like. XP works really nice for me, so I don't see any need or use for vista.