Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:04 AM
circuitdragon
Sarnak

Default Zone Crashes - Spells

Not so much spells, but spell effects on items. Seems if an item shows "Unknown Spell Effect" or how ever it shows, this is a bad thing. The items themselves when equiped have no ill effect, until you cast a spell. I'm not sure if this also is related to the bard songs crashing zones, but I imagine there its also the same thing. The bard songs themselves are not causing this, its the items being worn. I am terrible with my logs, haven't cleared them in forever. I can recreate this zone crash issue any time, and try to post what the logs may show, if anything. It may also be that I some how need to update my spell files? I am using the original EQ Titanum ones. Just thought I'd drop a note on this, after seeing the post about the bard songs crashing zones. Seems like these may be one and the same, as far as why they are crashing.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 AM
circuitdragon
Sarnak

Default Did some checking

Seems a lot of the higher ends items have the same effect on them...which is causing me problems. The effect is "Zuriki's Song of Shenanigans" #5375....just a little more FYI...
Old 02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

Having the same problem with high end necro items. i set all 'focuseffect' in items to -1 as a temp fix, i know it nerf'd alot of low level and working items, but intil i have a chance to narrow down the culprits it was the fastest way to uptime.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitdragon View Post
Seems if an item shows "Unknown Spell Effect" or how ever it shows, this is a bad thing. The items themselves when equiped have no ill effect, until you cast a spell.
The reason this is happening is because the items are trying to use a spell that isn't in the spells_us.txt file (usually items that are post-Titanium that are in the DB). The Titanium spells_us.txt file goes up to Spell ID 8446.

Unless you update the spells_us.txt file on both the server & client sides to a more recent version (the latest live version has 15,999 spells, but also has more fields that the current version of the client & server don't support), you will experience this issue. For stability issues, it might be worth it to restrict items that use spells that aren't in your spells file:

Code:
UPDATE items SET minstatus = 100 WHERE proceffect > 8446 OR clickeffect > 8446 OR focuseffect > 8446 OR worneffect > 8446 OR scrolleffect > 8446
That would restrict the item to only being summoned by accounts that have a status of 100 or higher (usually GMs).

Alternatively, you could change items that have those higher Spell IDs to remove the spell:

Code:
UPDATE items SET proceffect = '-1' WHERE proceffect > 8446
UPDATE items SET clickeffect = '-1' WHERE clickeffect > 8446
UPDATE items SET focuseffect = '-1' WHERE focuseffect > 8446
UPDATE items SET worneffect = '-1' WHERE worneffect > 8446
UPDATE items SET scrolleffect = '-1' WHERE scrolleffect > 8446
That would still allow users to have access to the items, but not crash the server. The only downside is that, if you update your DB frequently to CVS, you'll have to add in the change every time you source it. It might be a good idea to add that into a .sql script if you do update your database regularly (to incorporate any needed changes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitdragon View Post
Seems a lot of the higher ends items have the same effect on them...which is causing me problems. The effect is "Zuriki's Song of Shenanigans" #5375....just a little more FYI...
What items are you seeing this on? I did a search of my DB (which is current to PEQ CVS as of about a week or so ago) and this is all I got:

Code:
Output from SQL command SELECT id, Name, proceffect, clickeffect, focuseffect, worneffect, scrolleffect FROM items WHERE proceffect = 5375 OR clickeffect = 5375 OR focuseffect = 5375 OR worneffect = 5375 OR scrolleffect = 5375 ORDER BY id LIMIT 100; ..
id	Name					proceffect	clickeffect	focuseffect	worneffect	scrolleffect 
77116	Spell: Zuriki's Song of Shenanigans	-1		-1		-1		-1		5375
This is just the scroll that allows bards to scribe the spell. Then again, the first part of the post should address the root of the issue, this might just indicate a secondary problem in your copy of the database.

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Fridgecritter
Hill Giant

Default Random loot

This problem has plagued my server since it's inception with the random loot added in. Since I parsed all of the items with the query, including the level 71 - 75 effects and spells, and put them into the loot tables, they have been crashing the server.

Here's the weird part... Even if the mob that has the item isn't holding the item, but merely has it in it's inventory as a drop, it still crashes the zone on combat.

I went through PoJ and used process of elimination while trying to find offending items before I knew it was the spells making it crash, and I used "#npcloot show" one mob at a time before engaging them in combat and seeing if the zone crashed out. I had a short list of items in no time, and they were in fact the 71 - 75 items with the unknown effects on them.

I spawned a mob with no inventory and began adding items to it one by one and engaging it in combat, and listing which items would make the zone crash, then removing them from the drop tables. This was taking FOREVER, so I am glad someone thought of a better and quicker way to fix the effects crash problem.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Please update your spells_us file from Sony directly -
http://patch.everquest.com:7000/patc...ells_us.txt.gz

That will fix the missing spells

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Fridgecritter
Hill Giant

I thought the newest spells files have more fields than Titanium supports?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

There are 11 more fields, yes, but I am using this file and with Ti spells appears to work. Some spells are still missing effects. Back up your old file first

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Fridgecritter
Hill Giant

Sounds great. I updated the spells files server-side this morning, and I will be testing before I put the item effects back in. And of course, I have backups
Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

DoDh gear has their focus effect now working from new spell file, which I think is over 20,000 spells in it. Thanks much, helped a lot!