Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Default Discipline tomes turn in?

My guild masters don't seem to want to accept the discipline tomes turn in.

I have the script on them (from peq db)

sub EVENT_ITEM
{
plugin::try_tome_handins(\%itemcount, $class, 'Ranger');
plugin::return_items(\%itemcount);
}

and I have the guildmasters.pl, and check_handin.pl in plugins forlder which is palced inside the server folder

but guildmasters gives my tome rigth back to me

sugestions?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
joligario
Developer

Is it all tomes and all GMs? Or just specific ones or specific GMs?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

to be honest i only tried a single tome. but i tried like 3 ranger GMs in surefallglide... i will try some other tomes today and see if peprpas the tome was broken
Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

well the problem is with my tome of sprint discipline.

basicly its a Berserker tome, but i made it ranger useable in oth Bleh/Ala spell editor and the tome item itself. And it should have worked.

However I also made a zerker made him lev 61 - and tried to turn it in- the zerker GM also returns it back

tecnicly nothing should have been hard coded - its supose to work just like a spell....
Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
joligario
Developer

That's part of why I was asking, because I have seen other posts about certain tomes not working. Berserker tomes as a matter of fact. I am not sure if it is already known about that tome or not.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

well as I said the tome shoudl work just liek spells - the toem in quetsion nto even anythign fancy- ist a simply Move Speed buff for 18 seconds.
You could mimic this effect with a customly created spell (of course the only problem that pure melees do not have spell books)
But overall its not something that needs to be hardcoded to work. If it is- its wrogn implementation approach on devs part- the Disciplines should treated just like spells for all practical purposes.

Well I gues I will go copy and mutalate some WORKING tome and see what happens

Oh yeah- the non zerker specific tmes (shared with other classes) work just fine - like fearless
Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Ok i did some experimenting and I have SUCCESEFULY given monk and zerker only disciplines to a Ranger =)

apparently the problem arises when on the tome itself the useable classes do not match up with useable classes set in spell properties.

So you can give/create any disciplines to any class - this opens a whole new range of redesigning pure melee classes who usualy not teribly fun to play (yeah hit auto-attack and mayby a kick every 30 seconds)

Now the important thign I need to ask about, from what I know each discipline has a reuse timer. The timer is unique in such way that unlike spells, the reuse timer applies to all disciplines at once- not just the one you just used.
So if Fearless has 30 min reuse time and Stonewall has 1 hour, you just used trueshot, you won't be able to use fearless for an hour - in other words they block each other off.

BUT it appears that SOME disciplines do not overlap. My ranger was able to use Trueshot, and then immidiatly use Fearless.

is that a glitch or some diusciplines can be used wihout waiting for previous timer to expire?

Please if have more info on this- specialy people who played melee classes on LIVE and used disciplines,- please post what you know

thanks ! =)
Old 09-27-2008, 12:29 PM
laxative
Hill Giant

Chaos,

This topic is of particular interest to me, and I would like to know how you got around the same barricade that I ran into.

I gave my paladin defensive, and it's the CLIENT that rejects the discipline.

The effect fires, I get the you assume stance message, and the very next tick the client kills the effect. (you resume normal stance)

Based on what I'm inferring here that if your client spells_us.txt matches up with what the spell database data info is it's going to work?

I would have sworn I did all that but it's worth another look since you seem to be confident in your success.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 02:02 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

well i will tll you what i did.
first I took zerker only disciplien Sprint (ultra fast run)
opened it in bleh/ala spell editor and added Ranger to useable classes.

Then I took Tome of Sprint and made the tome useable by ranger
Note at first I set the tome useable by ALL classes, cuase it comes to normal spells, if scroll is useable by all classes and spell itself is not, the class not listed on spell will appear as lev 255 requred, so that class cannot scribe it but all other proper classes still can. This however was not the case with Discipline Tomes. When I tried to turn it to GM the NPC would not recognize it as valid discipline item, for neither- ranger or Zerker and gave it back.
So I went back into Db set and classes on tome itself are zerker and ranger only (so there are no lev 255 for other classes ) - this instantly fixed the problem. Ranger was able to turn in the tome and got zerkers ability

Of course after changes you make to Spell file, you place a copy of that file in both: server and client folders

As far as discipline been auto canceled - I did not noticed anythign liek that. I was able to succesefuly fire up zerker and monk disciplines on my Ranger and they run full course.

so it should work =)

PS. The only thingd that upsets me the way the coded reuse timer that last used displine prevents you from using other faster displines. IMHO all discipline should have personal reuse timers like spells (so if trueshot has 1 hour reuse timer, it should nto prevent all other disciplines from working durign the wait perioud) So far I havent figured out why ranger was able to use to disciplines wihout waiting on timer, but not others
Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Rocker8956
Hill Giant

I might be wrong here since it has been a while since I played my War on live. If I recall correctly disciplines' timers are grouped. The grouping seemed to be mainly based on the effect of the disc. So a disc that allows HPs to regen quicker will lockout most other discs that increase HP regen but should not effect the timers of damage discs.

I think the group lockout timer was based on the used discs timer.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

good point! I should look at spell group numbers for all these effects

thanks!

UPDATE: yeah you were right, Sprint, Planeswalk and Fearless all have spell group id 120, but Trueshot has id 117
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 PM
laxative
Hill Giant

Chaos,

I followed your instructions, and yep It worked for me too.

Paladin Guildmaster trained me in Defensive,and it works correctly.

That is pretty damn awesome.

Now too make some custom ones. Sweet, I am one happy paladin.

Laxa