Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:22 AM
trevius
Developer

What NPC error are you getting? It definitely sounds like a network config error if your server was running ok, but outsiders couldn't connect. You can always try setting your server as a DMZ in your router config temporarily. That will forward all ports to it to verify if the issue is with your router or with something else. If that works, then your router config was wrong.

Since you mention "opening" ports, I don't know for sure you are doing the correct thing. Many routers have multiple types of port configuration settings. You need to make sure that what you are doing is Port RANGE Forwarding. Port triggering and port forwarding are not the same thing as port RANGE forwarding. Also, you need to make sure you are sending those ports to the right place. On your server, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig". That will display the IP address of your server and it should be something like 192.168.1.100 or 101 or so. That is the IP you need to be forwarding your ports to.

For EQEmu to work, the only ports you need open are 5998 to 5998, 7000 to 7500, and 9000 to 9000. Nothing else is required, tho if you want to use the eqemu admin web tool from outside your local LAN, you would also want to forward port 9080, but that isn't required for playing.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Hakkyn
Fire Beetle

Hey Seridium,

I know it can be frustrating, you just have to be patient. I worked on my server for several days having the same issues as you before I could figure it all out. Sounds liek you had the server part working... all you need to do is find the spot on your network that is preventing outsiders from connecting.

In most cases, you have a dsl modem (little black box) between your router/hub and the wall... these modems have built in firewalls that are seperate from your router. Your phone/cable company doesnt tell you its there, but it is. They are correct, at their NOC they do not block anything. They dont need to it is being done on your modem... you need to access your dsl modem and disable it's firewall by forwarding all NAT traffic directly to your router (not your server), then you can work on your router. To troubleshoot, placing it in the DMZ is a good idea, as all ports are opened to it then... just remember it's not safe there forever and you will need to get your port forwarding sorted out and move your EQ server back into your regular network eventually.

Also, you mentioned rebuilding/reloading your PC, if that included reloading the OS make sure you go in and disable the Windows firewall... that includes turing off the windows firewall/IC sharing service (set it to disabled and stop it). IF you don't stop the service and just turn off the firewall, it thinks the computer is being DOS attacked and shuts down all incomming port traffic other than your internal lan traffic.

Keep trying and you will get it working...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 PM
seridium
Sarnak

Well I have figured out it is my D-Link router that has the issues even though in virtual server I have unlocked all ports pertaining to incoming ports 9000,9080 and so on..

It has nothing to do with my ISP or their router it is my router it just likes to be difficult so I am down 3 computers and left with one on line for the time being.

I have reset the Router itself reconfigured everything and still it blocks connections so it will stay disconnected for the time being.

thank you all for putting up with my anger and helping me out, your advice helps!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkyn View Post
Hey Seridium,

that includes turing off the windows firewall/IC sharing service (set it to disabled and stop it). IF you don't stop the service and just turn off the firewall, it thinks the computer is being DOS attacked and shuts down all incomming port traffic other than your internal lan traffic.

Keep trying and you will get it working...
It could be that too the IC sharing deal, well have to look into that.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

Well I have tried it all Dlink DI 624 routers are pieces of shit they claim to be a gaming router lol I have port forwarded all pertaining ports to play eq on my network and for others to be able to join and nothing works I can even set the DMZ on the router for my ip 198.162.0.104 still players cant connect I have never been so pissed about something ina long time does anyone have any suggestions on a better router that works ?

And no its not my dsl router that has the ports blocked because if i connect my server through direct ppoe connection anyone can connect, when i run it through the router even with a n0-ip.org account still no go so I am confused as EVER!@!!@

My question is what should exactly be in the eqemu_conf.xml??
could someone elborate?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasseridium View Post
And no its not my dsl router that has the ports blocked because if i connect my server through direct ppoe connection anyone can connect, when i run it through the router even with a n0-ip.org account still no go so I am confused as EVER!@!!@
If you are running a DSL modem that has a built-in router and also a DLink router on top of that, you have to be sure you are Port Range Forwarding properly. Basically, your DSL modem/router should either have your EQEmu ports all forwarded to your DLink router, or you should set your DLink routers as a DMZ in your DSL modem/router config. THEN, you need to forward the ports from your DLink router to your server.

It has to have a path straight through both devices. Using 2 routers chain linked together like that, you just have to be sure you have the path of the ports set properly as described in the last paragraph. The easiest way to start trying to get it configured properly would probably be to set your Dlink as the DMZ in your DSL modem/router config, and then set your server as a DMZ in your DLink router config. If that doesn't work, then something else is wrong, but it should work if you do it correctly. Then, once you know it is working, you can start setting specific ports instead of keeping it as a DMZ setup, because having all ports open like that is a security risk if you leave them like that too long.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

Well I have a Cable TV Modem that has the direct connection from my wall port, and I can set my server pc up with a direct internet connection PPPOE type and the server works fine anyone can connect so I will show my router settings.

continued next post
Old 03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

continued

Please feel free to try ad connect to my server Chaosrealm as all router setting should be bang on, and let me know what happens or if you see a error in my router setting please feel free to elaborate.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Demi-God

actually you should be using filters or firewalls (think its firewall), I can't remember which. It will let you specify the external address it can come from (you put *) and then the internal address it goes to (your computer with eqemu).

This page (Applications) isn't for port forwarding.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
actually you should be using filters or firewalls (think its firewall), I can't remember which. It will let you specify the external address it can come from (you put *) and then the internal address it goes to (your computer with eqemu).

This page (Applications) isn't for port forwarding.

If you look here in my firewall setting I have it set for ports should i disable the application aspect of the router port forwarding for the 9000 and 9080 ports?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Demi-God

You need to disable DMZ to first stop exposing your computer from the Internet.

Get rid of the filters, and the other world settings up in virtual server.

Then you want to use the Firewall tab with the following:

Source (drop down) WAN (text field is * as well)
Destination (drop down) LAN (text field is your local IP to the server)
Port Range (UDP) 9000 - 9080

That will open your internet ip to forward all ports 9000-9080 to your destination (local ip)

EverQuest protocol is UDP, server is TCP keep your TCP private and local it is just as vulnerable as the EQ protocol.

9000 is the world port, you can use 9001-9080 for zone ports set it in your eqemu_config.xml
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

Thank you will I will try this.

Much appreciated!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Demi-God

Let me know if you have problems, I used to have that awesome(crappy) router myself. It is now sitting next to me disassembled :P

I suggest buying a cheap box with 2 ethernet cards to be honest and install SmoothWall (google it).

If you handle a bunch of users on a home line, say 30+ or you are thinking of a big server, you should get a hardware firewall. Why? EQ sends too many damn packets (it is an MMO afterall). These little things have like 386's or less in em (no joke)

I am saying this in general reference btw.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

Just to be sure wanna look this over and make sure it is correct.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Demi-God

Looks good as long as thats the correct local IP.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

cool man thanks check ur pm.