Using Ethereal to collect for eqemulator.
this page is intended as a guide for people who want to collect packets for eqemulator, but are not able to use the windows packet collector for one reason or another. One common reason for not using the windows packet collector is when it is broken after a patch.
A more complete guide to installing ethereal can be found here: Ethereal For Windows∞
The basic idea is:
- Install WinPCap∞. You should not use the beta release of winpcap unless you cannot get the release version working. Currently the beta version (3.1) is needed for people using dialup and wireless, and the release (3.0) should work for everything else.
- Install Ethereal∞. You can get the windows version at the bottom of this page: Ethereal For Windows∞.
Now keep in mind that you must run ethereal with Administrator privileges, which is not a problem for most.
Collecting With Ethereal
- Open up ethereal.
- Enter this into the 'Filter:' box (it should turn green):
(This tries to prevent ethereal from getting mad when your done collecting)
- Hit the 'start a new live capture...' button.
- Select the Interface which you use for Internet access.
- Enter this as the 'Capture filter:'
|udp[0:2]-1200 < 500 or udp[2:2]-1200 < 500|
- Change the 'File:' field to point to the file you want to safe your collect in.
- Press Go. Play EQ, etc..
- When your done, hit stop and exit Ethereal.
- Contact FatherNitwit about how to send in your log.