Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:58 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Default Static zone feasibility

I am running on Debian, but within a vSphere server. I have set the server to use 3gb of the hosts memory. I am just curious what is the main point of static zones ? Do you save that much zoning time by running lots of static zones ?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
I am running on Debian, but within a vSphere server. I have set the server to use 3gb of the hosts memory. I am just curious what is the main point of static zones ? Do you save that much zoning time by running lots of static zones ?
You gain the ability for zones to keep their state after a player has left it. So for example mobs don't poof and spawns aren't rerolled/reset.

Players can also abuse dynamic zones by trying to get something to spawn by zoning to an adjacent zone and zoning back.

And in the case of my server where you have 879,789 rows of lootdrop_entries, keeping zones up for a set amount of time can keep from hitting SQL hard from assigning loot to NPC's.

The more you can keep up in memory is ideal, but it gets to a point where it can be unnecessary depending on how many players you have.

What I do personally is just have zones shut down after 30 minutes, that way if players are actually coming back to the zone they would within 15 minutes or so. This way you can keep zones semi-static and then just send them to recycle for other zones when requested. With this you don't have to run the same specified static zones the whole time as well. It's more of a hybrid configuration.

You can achieve that by running this query:

Code:
UPDATE `zone` SET `shutdowndelay` = '1800000';
Hopefully that helps answer your question.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
It's more of a hybrid configuration.

You can achieve that by running this query:

Code:
UPDATE `zone` SET `shutdowndelay` = '1800000';
What you are referring to in this part of your post is about using dynamic zones correct ? Because if I understand correctly a static zone is just that, a static zone and does not shutdown till the server shuts down.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:20 PM
jimm0thy
Sarnak

Quote:
What you are referring to in this part of your post is about using dynamic zones correct ? Because if I understand correctly a static zone is just that, a static zone and does not shutdown till the server shuts down.
Correct. The tip above will keep your dynamic zones active for 30min after everyone has left the zone. While a static zone will stay alive until you shut it down.
I can't say if it has any affect on memory, but a static zone will give you more of a persistent world feel.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
That was a recommendation on my part with more limited resources (3GB RAM) even though I run mine on Rogean's VM with 12GB. You can run a hybrid configuration and have them shutdown instead of assigning statics for every single zone. I have over 400 zones available all the way up to House of Thule so it is ideal to have as many slots available to only what is being requested from players.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:47 AM
tiarabobera
Fire Beetle

Setting up server...this seems like really useful information but the command doesn't work for me or is it still typed the same way? is a little bit of old post but bumping to see =) Learning mode. edit sorry did google on static/dynamic zones I'm in windows so that might be why =0 sorry.. any info tho that applies is welcomed.
Pre thanks for any replies
Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 AM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Where did you type the command? It's a query you use on your database in whatever tool you use.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 AM
tiarabobera
Fire Beetle

in MySQL command prompt window am I being noob? I am at least to setting up a server side of eq things ..but that's beside the point apologies I try not to type before searching everything way out in here =)
hugs for any help /tips advise are welcome
Old 05-04-2013, 02:46 AM
tiarabobera
Fire Beetle

Thanks for replying.. I did get it, in navicat I just got that program and this situation showed me why I am glad that I did, new learning it just tonight your wording made me look other places thank you =)