Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:02 PM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Well, EQEmu does an amazing job in emulating Everquest but personally I wouldn't recomment or use it as the code base for a brand new project.
I'm pretty sure you know and already discussed the Worldforge Project but just in case you don't I would recommend that you check it out.

http://worldforge.org/

As long as you don't sell or give away(e.g. binaries) anything that has parts that are licensed under the GPL or certain other open source licenses you can do anything you want. If you do, you have to provide the source.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:56 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

well thats the point of using the emu for the SERVER the client is not opensource nor would it ever be therefore no source would ever be required under the current license to be distributed since we wont be distributing the server, much the same way that the public login minilogin and simple client are all closed source applications so will our game. the beauty of the emulator is that it is fully customizable, the only reason it is so good at emulating everquest is because of one the database which is now totally empty aside from the first new zone i have made, and because in its default state it is made to work with the eq client. but as we have seen with simple client it i s fully capable of supporting an entirely new game.

We are using it because we are wanting to keep everything serverside but at the same time want to create a unique game which is fully possible with a client built around the server instead of the other way around.

This was the purpose behind windcatcher making simple client we are just taking a different route and making a whole new game out of it.

the server of course will remain gnu but if you read the gnu license it only requires source to be distributed if the gnu licensed code is distributed either via binary or any part of its code is distributed. since one the client is written in a whole different language obviously it wont be using any opensource code. LJ Is not an opensource project nor will it ever be so using an opensource engine is out of the question.

the client will only talk to the server not share its source. but the server is robust and generic enough given that we can rewrite opcodes to match our client and so on and so forth that it can be used for many projects not just running an eq server.