Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Fridgecritter
Hill Giant

Default Fridgecritter 2X Diablo 2 random loot

Hello there,

I have been playing on a few servers here, and tooling around with the idea of setting up a server with 2X exp, and using GeorgeS Diablo 2 loot table editing program. I have been configuring the server for a few days, and am still constantly working on it, but it is up and running, and pretty fun.

I put potions in addition to the mobs' regular loot on mobs level 1-10. From 11 up, the items get better and better as you fight higher level mobs. you never know what the mob is going to drop. It's pretty fun.

I have scripted my own teleporter based on the basic sample from this forum, and made the exp higher in the zones that the teleporter can port to. There is also a spell scriber and buffs NPC in the same area.

I am working on the website next, and will post here when it's up. The name is registered and webspace allocated already, I just need to install a CMS system (probably e107) to house it.

I will be hiring one guide to help out in the next few weeks too. I will be picking the candidates from players from the server. Please don't spam me with emails asking to be a guide if you don't play on the server.

Have fun!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 AM
bowmaster
Discordant

i might have a go at the server , how hard is it in wise , solo ? , gruop , raid server?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:38 PM
lsuee
Fire Beetle

Well, I logged in and played for a bit. I have one thing to say... The experience goes far too slow to attract people.

Your server is based off of D2 rules...which is supposed to be fast-paced, fun and constantly moving. However, 2x reg experience makes for a very slow grind to lvl 75. At lvl 3 i was getting less than a blue bubble of exp per kill! I'm sorry, but it might be for some..just not for me.

I'm just trying to offer some constructive criticism. I envision a D2 style game to move fast with lots of loot. This is very very slow.

Some things I would think should go with a D2 style server are the following:

1) Fast lvling
2) Lots of random loot
3) Potions easy to come by allowing soloability and helping the "fast play"
4) Perhaps a timer on how often you can use a potion (5-10sec) so it's not too easy

These are some of the things i would look for and expect. Hope I help ya.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Really, Diablo and EQ are two different games. Diablo2 is much smaller than is EQ and very linear (you always move through the same few towns ands areas). In EQ, randomizing all drops to the same tables is interesting and different, but for me will shorten the game. why would i want to go to Sebilis for a Fungus Covered Scale Tunic if it will drop anywhere in the game? You really have to plan what you are doing if you use the D2 drop system, else you soon run out of goals and interest.
In Diablo you have to get to certain bosses and kill them, in order to proceed to the next level of higher mobs - if you don't, then you can't level, and higher level random drops will not be available to you.
True, D2 has plenty of drops, but most of it is "yard trash". The good drops are uncommon too. Some of the real good drops come off big "area-bosses" (big bosses have increased possibility, you can still get it off a lesser mob, but then you could get stuck by lightning too) and can be very rare. There are extremely rare drops in D2, that to this day I have never seen (and I played D2 a very long time). Take SoJ for example (Stone of Jordan Ring), The only time I ever got a few of these was when I had three bots running day and night for over a week. Legally, I never saw one in all my years of play.
I never liked drop-policies in EQ or D2. I always thought, "If you pay for the game, you're entitled to everything the game has to offer, including drops". EQ is the same story, I would have never seen half the drops had it not been for EqEmu.
In EqEmu, you're able to make your own policies - but be careful how you do that, because players will get bored and drop out fast.
Probably, if you want your players to level fast (2x, 3x) then the drops need to happen faster also. Already by default, the game levels very fast (Eq) , I guess it's that way on Live nowdays, so faster drop rates are in order ( you don't want to get out of level range with few or no drops, and I mean good drops, because they were too rare).
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Cvinion
Sarnak

this is a great server, defenitly one of the best i've seen around and defenitly one of the ones I could see lasting. Exp is fast enough so you can level at a nice pace and the rops come quick enough to keep you leveling to get that next peice. very good work!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM
eq4me
Hill Giant

If you are concerned that your players are hitting max level to fast but don't want to make the mid levels a drag you could try a code snippet from KLS.

http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22275
Old 02-24-2008, 09:01 AM
bowmaster
Discordant

hmm i elveled to what , lv 4 without a Single drop :(
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 PM
everlastnmn
Sarnak

BTW - how did you fix the random loot to not drop lvl 75 loot on a lvl 2 skelly ? if you can put it into n00b terms for a new server admin that would be great
Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
ryder911
Hill Giant

I am really excited about the server Fridge! Any estimated ETA on when a possible playable server will come about?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Ansley1
Sarnak

Spell scriber?