Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 11-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Romai
Fire Beetle

Well heres a little more info:

http://magelythings.com/foci_and_crits.html
Quote:
A normal crit (with any level of Spell Casting Fury trained) adds 100% of the base damage to the final damage
While that is a mage site, it still supports a non-progression through SCF. So at the least, SCF should give an immediate boost to 100%.

I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find anything for a non-aa'd toon
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 PM
KLS
Administrator

Hey disagree all you want but I have patch notes:

Quote:
------------------------------
May 11, 2005

*** Headlines ***

-Many quests in city zones that give XP as a reward now give significantly more.
-Four new missions are available that take you back to Qeynos, Unrest, Befallen,
and Hate's Fury.
-Veteran's Rewards will be available on May 13th. You can find out more details about
these rewards here.
-The required levels on many spells level 50 and below have been changed so that all
casting classes will now receive at least 1 new spell every level.
-Great new functionality has been added to the mail system. Some of the major features
are listed below, but also check the bottom of the patch message for details.
-Multiple recipients, including a dynamically generated guild mailing list.
-EverQuest mail forwarding. You can now have your EverQuest mail forwarded to the e-mail
address registered with the station account of the character you are playing. NOTE: you
cannot reply to the forwarded mail.
-New Address Book. You can now setup mailing lists on your client and store your friend's
addresses in your address book.

*** Spells & Skills ***

-Players who only have the first two ranks of the Spell Casting Fury AAs will now do double
damage on a successful spell crit, the same as if they had the third rank.
We can change it since obv. Sony did a while ago.

I was pretty damned certain it worked 33/66/100% per rank at some point!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Romai
Fire Beetle

Well there's my point. Its an old patch, so it was in while I was playing.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Romai
Fire Beetle

Would it also be fair to assume, then, that since only wizards can crit without SCF, that damage is also 100%? I swear I remember it that way from playing, and it would make perfect sense, but does anyone know anywhere we can confirm that? (btw, if I'm wrong about other classes not critting without SCF, please don't crucify me. I think thats how it is, but I never played another caster )
Old 11-23-2008, 12:12 AM
KLS
Administrator

I'd say it's likely that it's 100% for wizards since that patch too.

And I sure hope no one feels crucified talking about this! EQ mechanics aren't as well documented as some other games since sony tends to only give out choice pieces of info and the client doesn't show a whole lot either. So the only real way to try to nail mechanics is by talking about them, even if that means some arguing over it. Yet it should all stay civil and friendly =p

Last edited by KLS; 11-23-2008 at 08:15 AM..
Old 11-23-2008, 02:01 AM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
Hey disagree all you want but I have patch notes:

Quote:
May 11, 2005

*** Headlines ***

-Many quests in city zones that give XP as a reward now give significantly more.
-Four new missions are available that take you back to Qeynos, Unrest, Befallen,
and Hate's Fury.
-Veteran's Rewards will be available on May 13th. You can find out more details about
these rewards here.
-The required levels on many spells level 50 and below have been changed so that all
casting classes will now receive at least 1 new spell every level.
-Great new functionality has been added to the mail system. Some of the major features
are listed below, but also check the bottom of the patch message for details.
-Multiple recipients, including a dynamically generated guild mailing list.
-EverQuest mail forwarding. You can now have your EverQuest mail forwarded to the e-mail
address registered with the station account of the character you are playing. NOTE: you
cannot reply to the forwarded mail.
-New Address Book. You can now setup mailing lists on your client and store your friend's
addresses in your address book.

*** Spells & Skills ***

-Players who only have the first two ranks of the Spell Casting Fury AAs will now do double
damage on a successful spell crit, the same as if they had the third rank.
We can change it since obv. Sony did a while ago.

I was pretty damned certain it worked 33/66/100% per rank at some point!
That's the kind of info I was looking for when I commented about the code

I had been over that portion of the code several times, and came to the conclusion that, since Graffe didn't indicate double damage (and at the time the reference was made, that was correct), that it wasn't, and even if 33% & 66% wasn't exact, it made sense.

I don't think it helps that I haven't really played Live since about 2004... but it's all good, we got our answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romai View Post
Would it also be fair to assume, then, that since only wizards can crit without SCF, that damage is also 100%? I swear I remember it that way from playing, and it would make perfect sense, but does anyone know anywhere we can confirm that? (btw, if I'm wrong about other classes not critting without SCF, please don't crucify me. I think thats how it is, but I never played another caster )
The best way I can think of would be to create a Wizard on Live (the free trial limits you to level 10), level them up to 12 or whatever, then start spamming nukes on low level mobs until you crit.

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
So_1337
Dragon

The base crit ratio for a wizard was 100% even without AAs. I played one on the Combine progression server and specifically remember critting Icestrike while I was still a lowbie. It would always be for twice the normal damage. (So 32 damage instead of 16.) I used the spell even into the 30s and 40s just because it was so ridiculously mana efficient, even more so when it would crit.

Sad that it took AndMetal's suggestion there to remind me of it, but that's absolutely correct. And I remember critting Conflagration for 1800.

If anything, I would be that what KLS has posted from the changelog was to fix a bug. Someone with only one or two ranks trained in SCF might've actually seen their damage drop, and then seen their criticals back to +100% damage at rank 3. That would be my best guess.