Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
trevius
Developer

Default Some Fixes for Dual/Quad Core CPUs and Windows Vista

Many people have reported problems that are caused by Dual/Quad Core CPUs or by Windows Vista (or both). I figured it is time to make a post so people can find the solution to this problem quicker without having to post about it.

The Dual/Quad Core CPU problem is mostly known to cause VERY accelerated movement rates as well as no walking animation, so the character just looks like it is sliding around very fast. It also causes frequent crashes anywhere from time the time you open EQ to shortly after logging into a server, but normally before being in a server for 5 or 10 minutes.

The Windows Vista problems are mostly just crashes from what I have heard. In some cases, you can't even start EQ as it will crash with an error before it even opens the login screen. It may also cause crashes after getting in game as well if you are able to make it that far.

Here are 2 common fixes to help resolve these issues. If anyone has anymore suggested fixes to try, please post them here.

Dual/Quad Core CPU Fix:
Dual (or Quad) Cores cause crashes and other issues, but has a simple fix.
1. Start EQEmu
2. Before logging into the login server, ATL+TAB out of the program and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
3. Select the 'Processes' Tab
4. Find the eqgame.exe process and right click it
5. Select 'Set Affinity' and then chose CPU 0
6. Return to EQ and run like normal

Alternatively, if you are running an AMD processor, you can fix it by just installing the AMD Optimizer.

Running in Compatibility Mode to fix Windows Vista and/or Dual/Quad Core CPU Issues:
1. Right click on the Everquest shortcut you created during the eqemu setup process. The wiki page can be found here for information to get setup:
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide
2. Select "Properties".
3. Click the "Compatibility" Tab.
4. Check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
5. First try selecting Windows XP from the drop down menu there.
6. Click OK and run Everquest again to see if the problem is resolved.
7. If Windows XP compatibility mode does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 1 through 4 and try all of the other options 1 by 1 until the problem is resolved.

This fix does not work on all systems, but it has definitely helped to resolve issues for many people running Windows Vista and/or Dual/Quad core CPUs.

I am not normally one to ask that my post be stickied, but this one might be a good one to have stickied here in the support forums so new people will see it. If not, I am sure it could still be helpful when people are searching the forums to find the resolution to their problem.