Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Unholycow
Fire Beetle

So,

I was just required to buy a Lenovo T61p for school.
T8300 C2D
3 gigs Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 570M

I've verified my Directx 9c is updated.
I reinstalled Quadro FX drivers from the Lenovo website and have the latest drivers.
I have tried compatibility mode for all Windows operating systems listed.
I have used the RunFirst program to automatically set the affinity for the eqgame.exe program to Core 0 only and core 1 only. I verified after loading each time that the core affinity was correctly set.

I am still stuck with the expected choppy run speed.. mostly as if I were entirely snared and moving backwards.

Also, the combat animations, and animations for all NPCs, are moving at this slow speed. Chat, raw dps, appear to be unaltered. Ie, it's purely graphical.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what I could change on the system settings to speed up graphics animations to their normal values? Searching multiple forums has only resulted in the well documented solutions posted in this thread.

Thanks,

UHC.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Unholycow
Fire Beetle

Edit: I confirmed Directx10 is fully updated.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:00 PM
trevius
Developer

Is that Intel, or AMD processor? And I assume you are running Vista?

Make sure you ran all of the windows updates and they installed. Also, if you are running a laptop, then it probably has CPU throttling enabled. Try turning it off and see if that helps:

Disabling CPU Throttling (AKA Cool N' Quite):
1. Right Click on your Desktop
2. Select Properties
3. Click the Screen Saver tab
4. Click "Power..." in the lower right
5. Select "Always On" from the Power Schemes Drop-Down box
6. Click OK on both windows.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Unholycow
Fire Beetle

Default You won't believe this

Thanks, Trev, I had tried that too.
However, I did find the problem, and it was sadly ridiculous.

It looks like the video card was determining the "Max Frames per Second" menu setting under the "Display Settings" in EQ was not managing the frames per second the same way all of my other systems have in the past..

If I placed FPS on 50, I was moving at about half speed. I had to jack it up to 100 to get normal movement and graphics animation. On my other systems and other laptops that I've worked on, (those that don't have Nvidia Quadro FX 570M), 50FPS setting was ample for gameplay.

My best guess: The Quadro 570M drivers were interpreting EQ's FPS setting as a # / 100, not a raw # of frames.

I couldn't find a control feature in the Nvidia control panel to correct this.

However, for the time being my problem is resolved. Thanks for your help.

-The Noob known as 'Cow.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Rhodan
Hill Giant

And don't forget - people should be updating drivers before playing with the OS settings etc. When I first started playing with EQEmu my client was continually crashing and doing all the things described above. It had nothing to do with number of cores and everything to do with having forgotten to update my video card drivers!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
PathToEternity
Fire Beetle

Default Windows 7

On Windows 7, you may need to click on "Show Processes from All Users" to change the Set Affinity if you are getting an error when trying the affinity fix.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Bellos
Hill Giant

Did all of these things, and i still get kicked back to login after trying to join a server.

Windows XP

intel e8600
4gb ddr 1066,
gtx 260 video card
asus p5qpro mobo. Looks like i cant play eq 1 now lol
Closed Thread