Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

something to be aware of, if you are having the "disconnected" after selecting a server issue.

as was stated before, the handshake to get to the character listing view is very time sensitive. if the server doesnt respond fast enough or if the client doesnt respond fast enough, the connection is given up and you will fall back to the login server.

i usually see this if i log into my server and its merely 25 feet from my client box (in the machine room). if i have just booted up the server fresh, sometimes, even if its "says its there", its still crunching numbers and doing stuff that doesnt allow it to respond quickly to a client request. if i wait about 5minutes, though,i can get it.

if, after waiting a little bit, and trying several times, you cant get into a server, then it might very well be your installation/config mods/internet connection/etc. the key is to be patient and try a few times. failing once or twice can be attributed to network latency, etc. if you just cant get in, then double/triple/quadruple check the installation wiki page. did you install Titanium fresh? did you mod the shortcut? did you mod the eqhosts.txt? etc. etc. etc.

it can seem frustrating, but even the smallest little oversight can cause an inability to connect.

== sfisque
Old 12-08-2006, 03:38 PM
baldymcbald
Fire Beetle

i can connect to most of the servers how ever eternal wrath disconnects after trying to enter world
and dragon sould will not connect at all
Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 AM
InsaneWallaby
Sarnak

How much RAM you have? Is your video card a piece of crap, or is it fairly up to date? I had similar issues. I put in a stick of 1 gig ram up from 256mb ram, and it worked perfectly. If your box is old and crappy like mine was, it may be dying when you try to get into a session.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Master_Zoen
Fire Beetle

I'm having a similar problem as well, and it is very confusing to say the least.

I did a fresh re-install of EQ Titanium into an entirely new folder, copied those files to a new folder, modified everything as was neccessary...

I can login to a server fine, and it'll bring up the character select screen.

Last night, when I tried to connect to Zebuxoruk, I tried 3 times, each time after selecting my character, the game just sits there and does nothing, and 4-5 minutes later, it'll boot me back to the login screen.

Today, I logged in just fine, and after selecting my character, 20 seconds later, it starts loading the actual zone. I get in only to find out that the server is being taken down for 5 minutes for updates.

After that server went down, I tried other servers 3-4 more times and I get the same problems from above. When Zebuxoruk came back online, I tried 3 more times, still will not connect past the character select screen.

What is wrong?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 PM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

Sometimes it's the server so try another server, I have the same trouble with The Warrior. Sometimes it can be that the zone your character is in is unavailable because a lot of other zones are spawned (On Zeb' I make sure to log out in the Nexus all the time, it's always up.). Or even some work being done, or a mis-setup server.

Dragon Soul is a oriental server, so I don't know if you have the fonts to get in (I have the Japanese language support installed and I can get in fine), so this could be your trouble there.

I get into The Rathe with no hiccups, and Allendium too, so try those to test.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Master_Zoen
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabClaw
Sometimes it's the server so try another server, I have the same trouble with The Warrior. Sometimes it can be that the zone your character is in is unavailable because a lot of other zones are spawned (On Zeb' I make sure to log out in the Nexus all the time, it's always up.). Or even some work being done, or a mis-setup server.

Dragon Soul is a oriental server, so I don't know if you have the fonts to get in (I have the Japanese language support installed and I can get in fine), so this could be your trouble there.

I get into The Rathe with no hiccups, and Allendium too, so try those to test.
I tried Rathe, still the same problems.

Earlier on my 4th connection attempt to Zebuxoruk, after receiving a boot from changing zones, it immediately popped up with "THE SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING", but shortly after, the IRC channel registered my character connecting to the server.

This makes about 16 connection attempts over 4 servers, and only successfully connecting twice on one server.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Zoen
I tried Rathe, still the same problems.

Earlier on my 4th connection attempt to Zebuxoruk, after receiving a boot from changing zones, it immediately popped up with "THE SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING", but shortly after, the IRC channel registered my character connecting to the server.

This makes about 16 connection attempts over 4 servers, and only successfully connecting twice on one server.
Sounds like you might have a slow connection -maybe you are running a spam-bot for some low-life and don't even know it
Have you checked for crap-ware?
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...8&postcount=17
download and run if you haven't.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Master_Zoen
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox
Sounds like you might have a slow connection -maybe you are running a spam-bot for some low-life and don't even know it
Have you checked for crap-ware?
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...8&postcount=17
download and run if you haven't.
1. My connection is on a Cable internet, so no (CNet's Bandwidth Test says this about my internet speed).
2. I ran a spyware scan 2 nights ago, so no.
3. I was online earlier, managed to get to level 5 before the server decided to boot me with "DISCONNECTED FROM SERVER" then immediately start its problems again.

It seems like the only way I can really get on is if I do a fresh restart any time before, which is kinda inconvenient...
Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
1. My connection is on a Cable internet, so no (CNet's Bandwidth Test says this about my internet speed).
2. I ran a spyware scan 2 nights ago, so no.
3. I was online earlier, managed to get to level 5 before the server decided to boot me with "DISCONNECTED FROM SERVER" then immediately start its problems again.

It seems like the only way I can really get on is if I do a fresh restart any time before, which is kinda inconvenient...
fresh restart? you mean restart your pc? more reason for me to think you got crap ware. Just because you got cable don't mean a thing when it comes to crap ware. I have a DSL which I am very impressed by; One day a friend brought a PC over so I could see why internet didn't work for him. When I plugged it in my LAN, it was so infected , it took over all my bandwith and shut down my whole connection ( and he had a spyware scanner running too!). Turns out, his pc was converted into a "zombie bot" and was sending out thousands of spam-emais within minutes.
And just because you have a spyware scanner doesn't mean anything either, that's why I recommend trying out various of these scanners. This may not be your problem, but it's good to do anyways.
But I need to know what you meant by "fresh restart" ?
Just so you know, I'm not posting sure solutions to your problem , I'm just trying to give you ideas and something to think on.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Here's another idea -
What kind of a ping do you have? you can have the fastest connection in the world, and also have a slow ping. Playing Everquest (from the client) does not require a fast connection, but does require a fast "ping". Believe it or not, modem connections usually have the best pings.
Anyways, here's something I've been using for years now, that helps optimize any type of connection.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php (TCP Optimizer)

Again, if you want to learn more about all this ( and you should) I found this link very helpfull
http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

This is stuff made easy for the Windows users - Linux users do things the hard way

EDIT;
Another thing;
Cable-internet users share bandwith with Cable-TV viewers - a lot of Cable-ISPs exploit this to a point that when the viewer traffic gets high (usually at night), it begins to slow down your connection, sometimes to a crawl.

Last edited by Angelox; 12-21-2006 at 08:48 AM..
Old 12-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Master_Zoen
Fire Beetle

"Fresh restart" means just rebooting the computer.

One time when I had just logged in to EverQuest on the second time I actually got in, a "virtual memory minimum too low" pop-up came from my system tray, which just screams "low RAM".

Also, I doubt ping is a problem. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Diablo II, but when I go online to actually play that, my ping is anywhere from the range 15ms to 47ms.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
"Fresh restart" means just rebooting the computer.

One time when I had just logged in to EverQuest on the second time I actually got in, a "virtual memory minimum too low" pop-up came from my system tray, which just screams "low RAM".

Also, I doubt ping is a problem. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Diablo II, but when I go online to actually play that, my ping is anywhere from the range 15ms to 47ms.
Diablo II is a "walk in the park" compared to what Everquest wants for resources. If you run Everquest with all Models and everything activated, they require at least 512 meg RAM.
If you have 512 RAM, and nothing else running that sucking up your ram, you might be ok, but I'm willing to bet you are not, because you're banging your virtual memory.
Since you have to reboot to get back to normal (this is very drastic, you should never have to reboot for anything), Then you might have a Malware or Virusproblem and now you can add "or a Hardware problem" to you checklist.
If you're running Windows Vista, Longhorn or what ever it they call it now, the minimum requirements for that OS is now at least 512 meg - you''d have to compensate with more mem.
Also, it's possibe you get the virtual memory error because your hard disk is full, or you have some strange settings on it. Could even be your hard disk needs a scandisk, or has some bad sectors.
But, by all means, don't try any of this out either, just tell me you doubt this is the problem and continue posting
Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox
But, by all means, don't try any of this out either, just tell me you doubt this is the problem and continue posting

LOL, welcome to the EQEmu support team, now after years of people doing this do you think you will catch an attitude like mine sometimes?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck
LOL, welcome to the EQEmu support team, now after years of people doing this do you think you will catch an attitude like mine sometimes?
Shhooot! you're more than patient! I just started, and already I'm getting frustrated. And to think, I already posted all this before.
Maybe you should increase the size to the "search" option button in the forum, to like about 50 times larger, and in red?
If I had a nickel for every person that came to my house, told me their PC was busted, windows was no good, internet sucked, etc., and then said they didn't have no crap-ware in it (because they had the "best' crap-ware remover) - well, I would have many, many nickels.
You're doing a great job and I hope you aren't going anywhere soon. If people don't realize this or not, we still need you here.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:32 PM
JrFaust
Sarnak

Ok I have to pipe up on this one.

I am a computer tech I hear several times a day "I can't have any spyware on my system I don't go to those kind of sites." or "I'm running XYZ anti-spyware software I can't possibly have any spyware on my system."

Well then your loss cause you do and you wouldn't believe the issues they cause until you see it happen. I say there are a few out there that are better than others but none work well alone. I use three different ones on my system and all together they only get most.

Now as for one getting connected, making a character, start playing and then getting booted, I'd say the server ran out of resources. Unless you have an unstable internet connection, OR you have a cable modem/DSL router like me and are not on the latest firmware then you have the same problems like I did.

Sorry didn't mean to rant. :o
Rob