Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Default Universal Server Patcher

So, I've been working on something interesting. I enjoy playing on both normal "live" type servers and custom servers. Switching between the two often times requires me restoring backups of files, patching, and all of this other stuff. This can get tedious after a while, especially while jumping between 3-4 servers.

This is where a nifty tool I have created comes in. This tool allows for a person to select which server they are going to connect to. It then backs up the default files that are going to be replaced by the server, and downloads them to a directory in the EQ folder. It then temporarily replaces the main ones. Whenever you want to restore the defaults or switch to another server, just reopen the launcher.

Now, before I can release this fantastic tool and start having admins use it, there are a few things that need discussion. Namely, some of the legality issues behind this.

First of all, in order to be added to the patcher, an admin has to contact me and inform me of their server and where the files they wish for the patcher to obtain are hosted. This isn't a bad thing. However, it also leads to another issue, which is the possibility of people trying to distribute client files they shouldn't be. I have ways to fix this problem, and prevent people from trying to say, transfer eqgame.exe and other such files.

But there are other possible issues that can arise from this. Sooo, here we are to discuss this. Would anyone use this tool if it was available? What are some of the issues you can think of? Solutions? ETC.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Just to add a couple pieces of information:

No, this does not redownload the files for a server everytime it launches. It saves them in a directory and on launch, uses MD5 checksums to determine if the file has changed.
And also, the "Default" mode downloads nothing but the eqemu eqhost.txt file. Everything else the player must have, just like now. No client files are distributed.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM
KingMort
Banned

I've spent hours on the phone with SOE's legal department...

What your doing is TOTALLY Legal...

As long as you do not release .S3D files.. or .EXE files from the everquest directory...(such as zone files or eqgame.exe ect) They can not be legally patched, or distributed...

However Spells files, and UI's and everything like that you can distribute...

So this is a great idea!!

At Raid Addicts we just had a player make us a patcher .. You should check t hat out.. Not sure if it is as good as yours but worth looking into...

www.raidaddicts.org then click downloads...

Would also be cool if in your patcher you allowed for server ops to put their own images on it... Like we have with ours... Also it would be great if you had this patcher install itself in the most user friendly means possible.. And then add an icon to the desktop for the players to easily access it...

Keep up the good work.... Patchers was something eqemu voided away from for a while but since I have done the research and I know damn well SOE does not care.. It is for sure going to be an asset to this community..

Jordan "King" Mortenson
owner - www.raidaddicts.org

PS: I will be willing to help you test this,, Contact me in IRC "KingMort" or via Email ... KingMortenson@yahoo.com
Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

I took a look at your patcher. This one is a little more advanced,

I can make an option to where it changes a banner image upon choosing which server you select, that wouldn't be hard.

A question about the .S3D files though. If you use say, openzone to make your own, can you still not overwrite the old ones?

Also, this patcher doesn't require installation. Just need to unzip it somewhere and run. Only downside is that it requires the .NET framework, like the SoD patcher does.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
KingMort
Banned

As a lead of this community .. I strongly suggest folks help with this effort it will help unite us...

King