Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
slowglass
Fire Beetle

Bulle, I tried to contact Muuss about a year ago but had no luck.
It was the main reason that I rewote my Alakazam - emulator from scratch.

There was not much interest in it at the time (and I stopped playing with the emulator) so I pulled the software. If people are interested I can repost it (once I have checked it out for bugs).

The code is all open source so people are free to do what ever they like with it.

Comments are always more than welcome.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Bulle
Hill Giant

That smells of a full rewrite then... Not that I am too afraid of it. I am toying with a quest "helper" at the moment so I probably will not start that before a few weeks, but this tool in a web-based form definitely fits in how I plan to edit/browse the database.

The main question at the moment is do I stick to PHP (which I just discovered really = newbie), or do I just switch to Java/Tomcat as I am very familiar with that (like in, I use that everyday...), and the fact that Java is a full-fledged programming language.

I would surely like having a look and a try at what you wrote, ideas and possibly code are always nice to get.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Funny how life is. Right after posting my previous answer I received a response from Muss, that I copy here for those French-reading people out there

Code:
Salut Bulle

Tu peux disposer d'EQBrowser comme bon te semble, si ca te fait plaisir
d'ajouter le fichier texte qui manque pour un faire un GPL, ne t'en prive
pas, comme tu le dis, je suis plus dans le circuit, mais ca me fait quand
meme plaisir que quelqu'un veuille utiliser ce que j'ai fait auparavant :)
Si tu mets ca sur un serveur web quelque part, fait moi signe, j'irai y
jeter un oeil !
Muuss
OK I will translate for the rest (most?) of you :

Code:
Hi Bulle

You can make use of EQBrowser however you feel like, if you would like to
add the missing file to make it GPL go ahead, as you mentioned I am not in
the loop anymore, but I am happy that someone would like to reuse what I
have done before.
If you put that on a web-server somewhere let me know, I will go have a
look !
Muuss
In short Muuss is fine with making what he has written GPL and opening it for other developers to change, and I thank him for his kindness. It can sure help putting together a solid web-based DB browsing tool.

I will try to make my latest changes available soon, for those who would like to try out some new capabilities. Hopefully this week-end. The "communication" between PEQ Editor and EQBrowser is something I would like to receive feedback on.

I am still interested in the work you did slowglass (was it the Al'Kabor Almanac ?). Combining all this material, there must be a way to do something nice.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM
slowglass
Fire Beetle

Yes it was.

I'll try to have a version available on a web site by the end of Friday together with an example web site
Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
slowglass
Fire Beetle

I have not managed to set up a demo database yet but the code is available at http://www.slowglass.com/downloads/alkabor.tar.gz
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Bulle
Hill Giant

No worries about the demo setup, I could have it up and running in like 20 minutes on my server (proof it is easy to setup). I had just one problem, which may lead to errors down the line : the tar.gz you provide contains a truncated TAR archive (I get an error when opening it with both 7-Zip and Linux tar command). Hopefully only some icons are missing. If you can upload a "better" TAR I'll gladly re-install it.

The way you show the query results is quite interesting. When I start working again on the browser I will have a look at that. You handle paging the results nicely. Although sometimes what I will like is just a brutal query returning 10.000 items and look into them with Firefox search (when running locally performance is hardly an issue). I guess both modes are useful to have. I also liked how everything regarding one item or NPC could fit into one page in the original EQBrowser (I have a 24 inch screen so I put it to good use). I hate Tabs with a passion ever since Windows introduced tham, and that was a long while ago !

I had an error when viewing a character, I don't know if it is "normal" at the moment.

Definitely a good tool with good ideas, I guess the truth for me is in between EQBrowser and the Almanach. Thank you for sharing it, it will certainly help.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 AM
slowglass
Fire Beetle

I have updated the zip file.
I have also placed a demo site on the same box at http://www.slowglass.com/alkabor

I have not had time to look into the problem with the inventory page so I have enabled my Magelo clone on the demo site
Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Muuss
Dragon

Wink

Hi peeps !
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Default EQBrowser 0.6.0

As promised (even if somewhat late, the latest week-ends have been busy) here is my updated version of EQBrowser, featuring quite a few improvements, and potentially a few things I have broken. As I plan to maintain/support this tool for the time being your bug reports/remarks are welcome.

I am still unsure on how to maintain this code, but I am thinking of making a Sourceforge project for it. Let's discuss the idea here.

In the meantime, have fun toying with this quite nice tool.

Link : http://dl.free.fr/jRrH6ILnp/eqbrowser-0.6.0.7z
Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulle View Post
After discovering EQBrower I made quite a few improvements to it, which I would share with the community if there is interest.

From my understanding this tool is now "orphaned", and may be I could take charge of it for a bit. I tried to contact Muuss at the email mentioned in the README but got no reply. It would be nice to have this open-source.

In a nutshell here are the changes I did the last couple days. I probably broke other stuff doing it , but for the time being it suits my need. The most notable changes may be the icons (easy but useful) linking to the PEQ Editor. That way EQBrowser can be used for searching/browsing, and PEQ Editor for changes.

- (Bulle) code cosmetics change (privilege when working on an orphaned project).
- (Bulle) Indentation of the generated HTML code - first shot at XHTML compliance.
- (Bulle) Make the top part of the page (header) optional through a flag in config.php.
- (Bulle) Made "faction.php" and "factions.php" interoperate. If "faction.php" is passed an invalid faction it redirects to "factions.php". If "factions.php" finds one and only one faction it redirects to "faction.php" with the found faction.
- (Bulle) Made "faction.php" more Wiki-friendly : it accepts both an 'id' and 'name' parameter. If the 'id' parameter is non-empty it is used. Otherwise if the 'name' parameter is not empty it is used to query for the faction.
- (Bulle) Same remarks for "npc.php", "npcs.php", "item.php" and "items.php"
- (Bulle) Added icons in factions, NPCs and items to link to a PEQ Editor and Lucy when possible
- (Bulle) Diverted the place where NPC images are searched for. Now it links to a Mediawiki installation (which has to be installed) used to store the images. Allows for much easier image upload as no access to the server filesystem is needed
- (Bulle) Added two "generic" search fields in the menu bar, one for searching on the name, one on the ID. It looks for items, NPCs or factions
- (Bulle) Displayed the IDs of objects in many places, which makes life much easier for the world builder

Been waiting for someone to update this for a while. Since it seems mUUS has given you the goahead? Can we see a new version soon?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Just look above, the link is at the end of my last post.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
fault
Hill Giant

I can;t edit my post so if a mod can merge this that would be awesome.

Thanks for the update. Few questions, This doesn;t HAVE to be run on the same machine as eqemu does it? I noticed the quests look for the eqemu directory. I have a test eqemu setup On my local machine, and this set up on my hosting, pointed towards the eq database on my local since it seems to require it.

Also Mirror:EQBrowser Mirror 6.0
Will update this mirror when I can

Edit.

So far the only bug I see is Spells, can;t seem to search. says *not found* when I search for clerics Healing
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Bulle
Hill Giant

For spells, you have loaded the spells tables in your DB right ? I re-discovered this point in the README when making a fresh installation to try it out.

The quest functionality requires a copy of your quest directory to work. Basically it runs a script that parses the Perl files and populates tables with the result, ready for HTML rendering. Note that I have tried it on my PEQ quests directory (you can run it in "batch" mode) and it stalled on one file so it is probably not up-to-date anymore. And I do not plan to delve into this for the moment (it is quite intricate) so if you would like to fix it you are welcome
Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulle View Post
For spells, you have loaded the spells tables in your DB right ? I re-discovered this point in the README when making a fresh installation to try it out.

The quest functionality requires a copy of your quest directory to work. Basically it runs a script that parses the Perl files and populates tables with the result, ready for HTML rendering. Note that I have tried it on my PEQ quests directory (you can run it in "batch" mode) and it stalled on one file so it is probably not up-to-date anymore. And I do not plan to delve into this for the moment (it is quite intricate) so if you would like to fix it you are welcome
Awesome I completely forgot to source allspells.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
fault
Hill Giant

it sucks not being able to edit the posts..

please merge...

Quote:
C:\Users\Spre\Desktop\eqbrowser-0.6.0\eqbrowser-0.6.0\quests>parse_quest.pl qrg
mammoth.pl
install_driver(mysql) failed: Can't locate DBD/mysql.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Perl/lib .) at (eval 7) line 3.
Perhaps the DBD::mysql perl module hasn't been fully installed,
or perhaps the capitalisation of 'mysql' isn't right.
Available drivers: DBM, ExampleP, File, Gofer, Proxy, SQLite, Sponge.
at C:\Users\Spre\Desktop\eqbrowser-0.6.0\eqbrowser-0.6.0\quests\parse_quest.pl
line 83
When I run the pl after editing the paths inside it.