Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Uleat
Developer

I know there has been some talk about this issue in the past.

I'm sure you're well aware of the reason why, Secrets, but for anyone who doesn't...

It's basically that the corpse blob does not store the attuned flag.

Either the blob will need to be updated or the it will need to be deconstructed into a field-based system..there's been some chatter
about the latter, especially since I need to change the single slot format into a 4-property struct for the inventory rework.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM
sorvani
Dragon

I have not seen anything posted but i know another of the devs was recently writing the SQL loop to explode the corpse blob data out to an updated table.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 AM
jsr
Hill Giant

I think UO's item decay was one of the best item designs implemented to date. Everyone had gear they'd reserve only for very special occasions (Heavy Xbow of Vanquishing!).

For those unfamiliar - weapons and armour had a maximum durability, as this reduced so did an item's damage or armour properties. You could repair an item, but it lost a little of its max durability each time dependent on your skill - so eventually you'd have to replace the item altogether.

You could do something simple with Procs and Item charges to depreciate items in EQ. Otherwise you could implement some fairly simple source changes for a more elegant approach, e.g.
- add a 'condition' field to the item class (representing a % of condition)
- use 'condition' to multiply damage/ac/stats in the relevant functions
- include a chance to reduce condition in combat events

Then you can remove no-drop, and while items will be tradeable, there will be a constant flow required and people will tend to keep 'spares', and/or sell part damaged items.. restricting the flow of godlike items to the undeserving
Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 AM
Nerdgasm
Discordant

Personally it depends on your outlook on the server, if you think about it, lets say you are playing with some friends on a server, and some random joins the server, and say you have gear just sitting in your bags from the highest progression, and the person is like 'Hey can anyone help me out?' and you're bored and like, 'Oh yeah here's this,' give it to them, they progress through the server seeing that it's the best gear, they are likely to get bummed and just give up...

Me personally, I believe in locking all zones that you aren't attuned to so you HAVE to get a certain item from that zone, yes it may have a 100% chance, but zone2 gear takes zone1 + pattern from zone2, making it virtually impossible to get the best gear quickly... -shrug-...

I've seen servers with NO-DROP disabled, I played on it for all of a week, and boom, it was GG for me...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 AM
liquest
"Special" Member

Something i believe 90% of emulator servers lack is server wide selling and ecomomy.. When it comes to server with No Drop off. people horde loot for themselves or give it away to people. I just want a server that has an ecomomy where money means something.

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadedspirit View Post
Personally, I feel "No-Drop" means it took some major work to aquire. Either it means it was a really long/hard to get quest item (Epics?), or it was a raid drop. So I don't think No-Drop items should ever be breakable.

However, anything that isn't strictly no-drop should be breakable over time.

Though, that is far outside the scope of the server I'm currently planning !
That's what I meant no drop items should probably be the exception and be indestructible.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Davood
Discordant

Without reading everything.

Here is my ideology on items:
Everything, bar a few very special (artifacts, epics, and special quest items) should be tradable.

Here is how I limit the use of said items:
Level REC and level REQ, as well as zone-level restrictions (temp deleveling when going to prime material plane zones, etc)

all of my items have a level REQ where you can't even weild it unless you are of a certain level, and a level REC for the max level of that tiier

there are some fancier things i've done in some zones and will be doing in more zones... like special encounters that happen for powerful players trying to slum it...

regarding economy.. i have some very special incentives to sell your loot toe vendors

i have a massive (20 line sql query) that does some magic to the item db and prices everything based on special rules - also there are alot of things buyable if you have loads of pp. granted you can probably exploit the pp a little if you are powerful enough.. but that is intended... as to max out your toon you will need 100s of thousands of AA or 10s or even 100s of millions of pp (read: my god-worshipper system is expensive for the god side of things but free for worshippers))