Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::Server Discussion

Archive::Server Discussion Archive area for Server Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Deimos
Hill Giant

Default The Path of Chaos Server

Hello everyone, I am starting The Path of Chaos server. It is based off of different Tier levels as well as a main storyline in the background that ends up at a custom dimension called the Path of Chaos.

The max level in this server I am hoping will be 1000 if I can raise the level cap. It will start at 70 howerver when the server becomes open to the public because we need to create special and new spells for each level and cast/priest/comination-type class. I will be hoping to add new planets, and infact create an entire Galaxy. It will hopefully have 60 planets, each with different requirements, and each with different levels ranges. They will also have about 50-100 zones for every planet, this way it isn't boring when you level up.

I am also doing a new guild system where NPC's are the guildmasters. There will be special events hapepening to you as you advance in ranks, as well as special rewards and weapon/armor/movement bonuses, depending on what guilds you decide to go in. The ranks will be based off of a point system. Each guild will have different level requirements and about 600 quests, here is some of the information on guilds. I have only completed the thief guild information atm.

Thieves Guild Ranks:
Rank 10: Training Thief
Rank 9: Common Thief
Rank 8: Skilled Thief
Rank 7: Elite Thief
Rank 6: Master Thief
Rank 5: Common Assassin
Rank 4: Skilled Assassin
Rank 3: Deadly Assassin
Rank 2: Master Assassin
Rank 1: Thieves Guild Officer

There are 20 points in each rank. Depending on what kind of quest you do will depend on how many points you get per rank, whether it be easy or hard. As you go through ranks, the quests get harder, but the items get better. Also, as you go up, your faction gets worse with just about all other factions. Another thing that happens as you go up in rank is that you get new categories and new quests in each category, here is some example code:
(I did this code when I was a complete beginner at perl and will be re-doing it completely to perform better and take out all the bugs.)
Code:
sub EVENT_SAY {

if(($text=~/hail/i) && ($ugildrang == training thief intro) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID)){

quest::say("Oh Creole. What the. Hey can't you see
		I'm talking. You must be the new guy uhh $name right?
		Well I am the guy who gives you all jobs around here.
		Ok so do you want to here some of the current [jobs] up
		right now?");
	}
	if(($text=~/jobs/i) && ($ugildrang == training thief intro) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID)){

quest::say("Well since this is your first time ever
		hearing this let me explain it to you. First you
		choose a category out of the category's I give ya.
		You get more category's as you go up in rank. Then
		You choose a job in the category more job as you
		go up in rank too. Sounds easy huh. Well do you want
		to [continue] on to the jobs?");
	}
	if(($text=~/continue/i) && ($ugildrang == training thief intro) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID)){

quest::say("Wait a second. I just got word that there's
		a guild member trying to give information about us to
		one of the Temple Guards! I'll give you the jobs later.
		Kill him and bring me back his Thieve's Guild Emblem Ring before 
		he gets downstairs. This was the thing we hoped would never happen.);

quest::spawn(Traitorous Thief,Run Grid,0,x,y,z);
	}
	if(($text=~/hail/i) && ($ugildrang == training thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID)){

quest::say("What category do you want?");

quest::say("[Steal] | [Deliver] | [Collect An Artifact]");
	}
	if(($text=~/steal/i) && ($ugildrang == Training Thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID) && ($uguildpoints < 6)){

quest::say("Here is what is going on in the stealing community at
		the moment");

quest::say("[Golden Obelisk Shipment] | [Coin of the Realm] | [Black Pearls]");
	}
	if(($text=~/deliver/i) && ($ugildrang == Training Thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID) && ($uguildpoints < 3)){

quest::say("Here is what is going on in the delivering community
		at the moment");

quest::say("[Letter To Heknar] | [Vase To Holoen] | [Trial Papers To Nolen] | [Letter To Emporer Crush]");
	}
	if(($text=~/artifacts/i) && ($ugildrang == Training Thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID) && ($uguildpoints < 7)){

quest::say("Here is what is going on in the artifacts community
		at the moment");

quest::say("[Snake Fangs] | [Dervish Emblems] | [Giant Head] | [Nectrotic Pendulem]");
	}
	if(($text=~/Golden Obelisk Shipment/i) && ($ugildrang == Training Thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID) && ($uguildpoints < 6)){

quest::say("The Golden Obelisk was found in South Ro and
		shipped up into a secret base within West Commonlands.
		You need to find this Golden Obelisk and bring it back
		to the guild. It is worth an absolute fortune and this
		thieves guild must be the one to have it! Here is the
		key into the base that one of my spies got from one of
		the shippers that was wandering out in the grass of the
		commonlands.

quest::summonitem("Key Of The West");
	}
	if(($text=~/Coin of the Realm/i) && ($ugildrang == Training Thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID) && ($uguildpoints < 6)){

quest::say("Long ago a chest was lost and within it
		lay the coin of the realm. The coin of the realm
		was a coin that could enchant a weapon when it was
		layed up against its hilt. We can make a fortune
		enchanting people's weapons with this coin.
		The Guild Must Have It! It is located in one of
		the rooms of this great keep. Be wary of Temple
		Guards for they Guard the room and keep their
		eyes open to any strange sites. Here is the key
		to the room with the coin. Bring it back to us
		and make sure you are unseen. Temple Guards
		can be very cruel and are extremely powerful.

quest::summonitem("Master Key Of Highkeep");
	}
	if(($text=~/black pearls/i) && ($ugildrang == Training Thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID) && ($uguildpoints < 6)){

quest::say("In Crushbone the Oracle holds in
		his chest Black Pearls. I want you to steal
		these from him and bring them back to us. His
		chest is never locked because he believes that
		no one will ever steal them. He does not know
		how valueable they are. I want you to take 80
		of them and bring them back to us. He has so
		many hundreds that no one will ever notice. Do
		not take more than 80 or he might and then we
		will get in trouble. All of Crushbone will be
		after you and us. Don't let us down.
	}
	if(($text=~/Letter To Heknar/i) && ($ugildrang == Training Thief) && ($uguildid == Thieves Guild ID) && ($uguildpoints < 3)){

quest::say("I need you to deliver this letter to
		Heknar.

}
sub EVENT_ITEM {

if($itemcount{Thief Guild Emblem} && $itemcount{Thieve's Guild Emblem Ring} == 1){

quest::say("Well done. You caught him. As a reward
		you can keep his ring.);

quest::summonitem("Thieve's Guild Emblem Ring");

quest::guildrank(Training Thief);

quest::faction(Thieves Guild,Value)
	}
}
This guild is for people who want to work with fast weapons and love killing innocent NPC?s.

Also, being in this guild will give you certain weapon bonuses that no other guilds have to offer. The more guilds you have trained in, the more weapon bonuses you have. Once you leave a guild, if you were to go back, you have to start all over.

Suggestion: Stay in one guild until you hit Rank 1 to get the most out of it, do not move to another guild the instant you meet the level req.

As you see, the above guild alone is going to take a lot of work. Those categories increase as you gain in rank, as well as quests in each category.

I will also be creating different war zones as well, where you can choose a side and start gaining ranks and getting interesting prizes. The wars will be Player VRS Player though. Also you will be able to lead units into the different areas depending on how high of a rank you are. Within the server will also be mini-games as well as very many side quests.

I will be raising the maximum damage and hp of the standard EverQuest servers. There will also be different grades of epics, such as Epic 1, 2, 3, all the way up to 10. All of these have to do with going towards the Path of Chaos where you find a Demon named Haknar who started the path.

This server will be based off of heavy raiding and heavy questing, as well as solo xping. I will also work on Trials, like on the Live Servers. Each and every zone will be implied into the server as well as all the new custom mades. We will be re-doing a lot of the graphics so that it looks nicer, and we will have our own patcher. I am hoping to make this the best server possible. I will not be creating a new login-server though due to the fact that it is too hard for people to completely change around all there settings to connect to it, and then change back completely to connect up to eqemu again. Also, we will have an introductory zone with an event on it. It will take heavy programming as well as skilled loop-work to create. I am not that good of a C++ programmer or .client programmer myself, so, I am looking for some dedicated staff for the job.

Everyone, these are some of the highlights for the server. I hope we can get it completely together for other people to enjoy.

Once again, we are looking for a very large amount of staff, a host, and someone who can partner with me in the server-creation. This is so far all the work I have ever done on emu, besides the Custom GM Ranks. If you need anymore information or would like to try and become a staff, the channel is #TPOC on mIRC, and my email address is xteam_leader@yahoo.com
Old 09-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Malignus Wingnut
Hill Giant

50-100 zones for each planet, 60 planets?

THATS 6000ZONES!!!!!!!! ><><><><><><> Wow...that will take a long time..heh.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

I think this project sounds very nice, but it might be a tad too ambitious.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 PM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
I will not be creating a new login-server though due to the fact that it is too hard for people to completely change around all there settings to connect to it
Nothing hard to change if you have a patcher, plus, the server you want to make look like very custom, making it totally incompatible with basic eqemu servers.

I would love to see more big projects (that dont drop after a few months), and i wish good luck, because you will need a lot. Also, and without being negative, your server idea look like a higher bid for me, 60 planets with 50-100 zones, 1000 levels, Epic lvl10 ... some interesting things like Morrowind Guild Rank System but what make a game good isnt really having 25 zones that are played te same way, but more having a few zones with a different gameplay to give a new game experience to the player ... hummkay, i understand myself

Anyway Good Luck to you, and hope to hear more soon about your project.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Magika
Fire Beetle

sounds good.. but christ, thats a LOT of zones! i can remember 90% of EQs current zones.. but thats only 150?ish, think how hard itll be to remember 6000! not to mention the horror of just making that many zones.. and spawning them.. and creating zone lines.. anyone wanna make a pool on when thisll be out? my guess is july 2019
Old 09-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Deimos
Hill Giant

Ok, hehe, maybe I should take it slower. I will just add one planet with 60-100 zones in it. That is a bit to start out with, but 60 planets with 60-100 zones each is my goal, hehe. It is called the Galaxy Project. Also, my system isn't based off of the Morrowind Ranks system =/, I have it set-up differently quest-wise and NPC-wise, as well as location-wise, plus, they do not have events =/, but it might be a little bit like it. I did not get the idea from Morrowind. I hope to get some help with this, heh.

Also, I am now thinking about making a custom-login again, I didn't realize that it might be incompatible with the basic EQEmu servers. I will create 2 patchers, one for patching to the login my server will be hosted on, and one for patching to the login for the EQEmu Server,this way it will be easier to change them around.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:50 AM
Magika
Fire Beetle

you could always just make one patcher, and give them the option of backing up the files it replaces automatically
Old 09-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Deimos
Hill Giant

Hm, I might think about that. I still like the 2-patcher idea, this way, people wont want to leave my server because it will take an hour or more to re-patch, lol. O well, what do I know =P.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:59 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimos
Hm, I might think about that. I still like the 2-patcher idea, this way, people wont want to leave my server because it will take an hour or more to re-patch, lol. O well, what do I know =P.
Why would you want a seperate loginserver at all?
Old 09-11-2004, 03:08 AM
Deimos
Hill Giant

The Basic EQEmu Login Server will not support some of the content I wish to add, such as an automatic patcher that patches when you login, well, first checks for files, then patches, just like EQLive. This is just one of many reasons. The File Check will be very fast because it will just check for a text file, so, it should take less than a second.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:15 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
The Basic EQEmu Login Server will not support some of the content I wish to add, such as an automatic patcher that patches when you login, well, first checks for files, then patches, just like EQLive. This is just one of many reasons. The File Check will be very fast because it will just check for a text file, so, it should take less than a second.
That would be having to change the client as well.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:21 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
Why would you want a seperate loginserver at all?
I can give a millions of answers to this question lol.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:43 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
The EQ client doesn't support that. That has nothing to do with the loginserver. Regardless of how you write your loginserver, you can not get the EQ client to open up your patcher when you hit "Enter World" for your server. Patching is done before you get to the loginserver.

The other features you describe are pretty much like the WR patcher, so you don't need a seperate loginserver for that. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

KhaN: Go ahead.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:34 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwin
May I?
  • A Seperate LoginServer would...
  • Allow more private/restricted access
  • Allow more ease for the user
  • Allow more control over the server
  • Allow LAN-login or Minilogin
  • Run multiple servers, perhaps?
    -edit-
    Added an important one.
  • To allow hosting on a more reliable server. (EQEMulator.net has been fluky recently)

Theres more but I think that should cover enough for now.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:00 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
- Forum / Server account match, same login/password like it is for EQEmu. More user friendly, and way less trouble for players.
- When someone is banned, its for all services, server / irc / forum / ...
- More correspondances between server / forum account. An example is the installation on the board of RPG plus, players can make XP by posting, buy special items on forum / website, and more ... it merge more the player into the game.
- No dependancy from EQEmu, you can stick to whatever version you want, players will be able to play. Here i smell Melwin will answer Winter Run run on a 5.3 LoginServer, sorry, not all server have EQEmu devs in their teams, and i dont think EQEmu would run 12 versions of LoginServers for all the servers that would need it.
- EQLive Account Registration System like, player go on your website, create one unique account for server / forum and its done, no need to do more. Yes, i know Winter Roar found a way to bypass this, but it is not "professionnal" for me.
- If you have a public LoginServer, making a Minilogin is cake, allowing your dev team to work on your project whenever they want.

These, are the major points for me, aka, offer a more professionnal way for players. Dont get me wrong, nothing against EQEmu LoginServer, but when you choose to restrict the access (being sources, database, whatever ...) to something, expect to see peoples not using it.