Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone:: Q&A

OpenZone:: Q&A Support forum for OpenZone help

Old 06-23-2005, 07:12 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Default Mob Models

Since I am basically done with my world zone modeler and very happy with it, I'm ready to tackle making some eq mobs.

I created several mobs some months ago with animation - these include a basic humanoid, spider, crocodile, snake, frog like creature a few others I forget. The non humanoid ones were very easy to model and texture - even animate, but the humanoid ones much more work.

Since the animations were done as separate .X files, I prefer today to make them a long .X animation set. I'm also a bit better at texturing, so I am doing more texturing by practicing on a touch tablet.

One thing that's very tricky is 'rigging' the models with bones in a standard way. The bone hierarchy depends on mob type- biped, quadrapred, snake, spectre - etc..

At the very least I can model these and leave out the bones. These basic forms can then be rigged and animated by anyone. I have not checked, but mdl2/3 had a pretty large user base. I may try to export to that format.

If you have any thoughts...

StepanG
Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

Hi..Im wondering if it would be possible to use 3dsmaxR3 to animate?
Right now I dont understand how the models are made but if a program could be made to create models and animations with 3dsmax and import them into the game then all I would need is a few models to use as examples and I could create many new models and animations..I dont understand too much about bones structures so technical answers wont help me..I do know how the bones structure for TombRaider models are and it consists simply of a bunch or separate meshes with mesh_0 being the hips and all other meshes
as a tree to that..There is no "stretching polygons" as it seems to be in EQ.
In other words..If a model(say a man like a guard)bends down as if picking something up then one can see that the hips and body meshes are separate
where as in EQ the polygons or faces are connected and stretch in some manner..Im nor experienced with that so Im working on it! LOL.

Also Im sort of a beginner Delphi programmer but have not been able to compile any of Wind Catchers projects..There seems to be some files Im missing and it seems the way he programs is unfamiliar to me as I have been using Delphi project and .pas files created by another programmer. I probably
have a trillion questions but Im not ready to ask them yet! LOL.. Im using
Delphi 6.0 here and if I could say..Get a simple project that uses wild.pas
or something.(Say it opens a wild file and shows on a label something like
# of meshes or rooms or whatever?)And I could compile it then I could
take it further and familiarize myself with using the .pas file..

Well right now Im a total noob and need to study much more to even understand this game as its so unfamiliar to me compared to TombRaider..
I dont even have a clue as to how collision works or how a wall or ceiling
or floor is defined..

BTW..Here is a program I am working on..It is like a direct animation editor
where a level file is loaded and animations are edited directly. Its not complete yet but it is one of my very first projects wich was modified from a much simpler program..
http://www.larashome.com/forums/inde...showtopic=9436

Thanks and Im in the background around here..Im lurking and learning..But Im sure it will be sometime before I get the big picture..Someday a light will come on in my head and maybe I can do something useful!
Old 06-24-2005, 04:52 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

To compile my projects you'll first have to install a bunch of components. I probably forgot to include the newest GLVisir stuff in the latest OpenZone, and there are other components you will need as well. I get on IRC from time to time -- If you find me there I can try to walk you through it and I'll try to be more diligent in what I include in OpenZone for the next release. I use Delphi 6.0 Professional to compile OpenZone, which you will need since it uses the TActionManager class. The other projects will probably compile with the standard version of Delphi.

I sent an Anim8or .an8 model to KhaN hthat has an elf model I made, that is rigged to a skeleton that meets the requirements of in-game models (i.e. it has the necessary bones). Basically, for monster models there is usually only one polygon mesh and you can texture it any way you want. For player models (models that can have different kinds and pieces of armor on) the model should conform to a specific format:

- 4 separate head meshes, one each for plain, wearing leather, wearing chain, and wearing plate, respectively
- At most 2 body meshes, one for plain and one for robed, respectively (though races that never wear robes can get by with just one body mesh)
- Skeleton conforming to the one I sent KhaN
- Separate texture files for each bone/body part. For instance, though there is only one body mesh, the bicep and forearm use different texture files. This is how the game allows players to mix and match what they're wearing. A tint is then applied to the polygons at rendering time to create more variations. Textures are usually uv-mapped using standard cylindrical mapping, which allows just about any texture in the game to be used.

Basically the client looks at the material settings for a player/mob and selects the appropriate head mesh, body mesh, and textures. As for animations, once we have a model of a certain type (say, a humanoid of normal proportions) and a full set of animations for it (there are about 30 in total) then we can just copy those animations to any other models we make with similar proportions and skeletal structure. The major hurdle for me has been getting source material to convert.

Some mob models deviate from this in that they have different head meshes like player models, but not for the purpose of showing different kinds of armor. The cyclops/hill giant/fire giant is a good example: they use the same body mesh, but have different head meshes and texture sets. The "texture" and "helmtexture" are what select the meshes and textures for NPC models, whereas for players they come from their equipment. In this vein you can really have as many different head meshes and texture sets as you want for NPC models, one for each variant that you want, but apparently only one body mesh.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
Since I am basically done with my world zone modeler and very happy with it, I'm ready to tackle making some eq mobs.

I created several mobs some months ago with animation - these include a basic humanoid, spider, crocodile, snake, frog like creature a few others I forget. The non humanoid ones were very easy to model and texture - even animate, but the humanoid ones much more work.

Since the animations were done as separate .X files, I prefer today to make them a long .X animation set. I'm also a bit better at texturing, so I am doing more texturing by practicing on a touch tablet.

One thing that's very tricky is 'rigging' the models with bones in a standard way. The bone hierarchy depends on mob type- biped, quadrapred, snake, spectre - etc..

At the very least I can model these and leave out the bones. These basic forms can then be rigged and animated by anyone. I have not checked, but mdl2/3 had a pretty large user base. I may try to export to that format.

If you have any thoughts...

StepanG
Hi...First of all. Sorry if Im intruding. Im interested in making models and animations. I dont think there are many tools if any for this. Im still learning LOL I think its gonna be a whole new way of animating for me.
OK my thoughts and questions to you personally or anyone interested for that matter.
The mobs you made. Are they then compatible with the game? Can they be made available? Once I figure out how to animate I can make lots of animations.
What is mdl2/3? Some sort of a program I should have? I DLed Anim8or to start learning it. I usually use a homemade program to animate TombRaider
models or I use 3dsMax4.0. I texture with another homemade program so I will have to learn all over again for this game.
Anyway. I will leave it up to you all to figure out the basics. I will be following
along. Asking questions of wich I plan to ask alot very soon lol..
Seeya..Thanks..And thanks for making the statics and tutorials. I will be working on all that when I finally learn something.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:33 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Default models

The models I have are not compatible at this point with eq. IF a new client gets coded, then it's better to use a standard mdl or .x format that has good support for (Max5-7, TrueSpace6,7,GameSpace). Also, my texturing has been using multiple textures per model, but I started using just one texture as mdl requires that.
I can upload a few pictures/examples of the work and if you want, the models themselves for anyone to practice one.

Let me gather the materials and get something together.

StepanG
Old 06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I can't wait to see what you can come up with. With all the hand-wringing that's arising from WR's fall, I think a good stopgap would be to for someone to throw together a basic client that is completely SOE-free. At least that would get people playing without fear of any repercussions. At a minimum we would need a handful of player races, a handful of mob models, maybe a good dozen weapon/shield/item models, spell icons, and item icons. We can already make zones, so that's not an issue.

I don't suppose you have one or two weapon models I could use so I could try to get exporting items working in OpenZone?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:18 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Default weapons

If it's weapons then yes I've made a few
http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...y_weapons.html
http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv.../weapons2.html
http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...2/weapons.html

There's many there to choose from...

GeorgeS
Old 07-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

WOW!
Thats alot of models! I will leave it up to you guys to figure out a system..
Then when I know what programs to use I will try to make some of my own models or modify existing ones..
Old 07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

These should work nicely, but I need a way to make .3DS files from them...anyone know a free program that will let me convert them?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcatcher
These should work nicely, but I need a way to make .3DS files from them...anyone know a free program that will let me convert them?
Maybe this...I did manage to convert .dxf mesh to .3ds with it..It looks like it can convert .x files to .3ds??

http://www.tb-software.com/prod_index.html

BTW..does anyone know what the maximum filesize is to attach something to my post?? I can attach .3ds files if its possible.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:45 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Default converter

I have been using 3D exploration - think it's a 30 day trial.
This program converts to about any format and allows changing of textures,UV,scale etc..

GeorgeS