Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
trevius
Developer

Default Some Fixes for Dual/Quad Core CPUs and Windows Vista

Many people have reported problems that are caused by Dual/Quad Core CPUs or by Windows Vista (or both). I figured it is time to make a post so people can find the solution to this problem quicker without having to post about it.

The Dual/Quad Core CPU problem is mostly known to cause VERY accelerated movement rates as well as no walking animation, so the character just looks like it is sliding around very fast. It also causes frequent crashes anywhere from time the time you open EQ to shortly after logging into a server, but normally before being in a server for 5 or 10 minutes.

The Windows Vista problems are mostly just crashes from what I have heard. In some cases, you can't even start EQ as it will crash with an error before it even opens the login screen. It may also cause crashes after getting in game as well if you are able to make it that far.

Here are 2 common fixes to help resolve these issues. If anyone has anymore suggested fixes to try, please post them here.

Dual/Quad Core CPU Fix:
Dual (or Quad) Cores cause crashes and other issues, but has a simple fix.
1. Start EQEmu
2. Before logging into the login server, ATL+TAB out of the program and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
3. Select the 'Processes' Tab
4. Find the eqgame.exe process and right click it
5. Select 'Set Affinity' and then chose CPU 0
6. Return to EQ and run like normal

Alternatively, if you are running an AMD processor, you can fix it by just installing the AMD Optimizer.

Running in Compatibility Mode to fix Windows Vista and/or Dual/Quad Core CPU Issues:
1. Right click on the Everquest shortcut you created during the eqemu setup process. The wiki page can be found here for information to get setup:
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide
2. Select "Properties".
3. Click the "Compatibility" Tab.
4. Check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
5. First try selecting Windows XP from the drop down menu there.
6. Click OK and run Everquest again to see if the problem is resolved.
7. If Windows XP compatibility mode does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 1 through 4 and try all of the other options 1 by 1 until the problem is resolved.

This fix does not work on all systems, but it has definitely helped to resolve issues for many people running Windows Vista and/or Dual/Quad core CPUs.

I am not normally one to ask that my post be stickied, but this one might be a good one to have stickied here in the support forums so new people will see it. If not, I am sure it could still be helpful when people are searching the forums to find the resolution to their problem.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Falkoz
Fire Beetle

Anyone else have any other fixes?

That is the only thing stopping me from playing EQemu religiously but my character always messes up.

When I try to set affinity it says (unable to set or process affinity, access denied)
That was my fix when I originally played EQ a couple years ago.

The number 2 option: 404 not found

Any help would be great since this has become quite frustrating.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:57 AM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

The player guide link should be:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide
Old 05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
andelstein
Fire Beetle

I get the same thing. Access denied.

And I'm using XP so I can't do option 2.

It can't be that I don't have permissions, I'm the admin on this machine. Also it just freezes up when I try to connect to a server, I don't get past that.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 PM
trevius
Developer

You can try a 3rd party program like Runfirst to start EQ and set it to run on a single core.

Try doing the following steps exactly in order:
1. Download runfirst.exe and put it in your main Everquest folder
3. Right click on runfirst.exe, hold right click, and drag it to desktop. Choose "Create shortcut here" on the menu that appears. (alternately you can right click and choose "send to desktop" instead of dragging it)
4. Right click on the shortcut to runfirst.exe on your desktop and choose "properties"
5. You will see a line like:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest\runfirst.exe
6. Do not modify that line at all. Add a space and then:
Code:
"eqgame.exe patchme"
to the end, so the whole shortcut reads something like:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest\runfirst.exe "eqgame.exe patchme"
7. Hit the apply button at the bottom, then hit the OK button to close the window.
8. Run EQ via the shortcut to runfirst.exe. You can change the name and icon graphic if you like.
9. Once EQ starts, you can close the runfirst command prompt window.

I have been working like crazy to resolve a weird issue that appears to be processor related and may or may not be another dual core problem. While working on it, I have come across just about every known dual core fix there is. I will try to get most of them posted when I get a chance. Maybe when I am all done, I will write up a nice troubleshooting guide for it.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
andelstein
Fire Beetle

Hm. That didn't help.

It just stalls and changes to "Not Responding" when I try to connect to a server.

I have to wonder if it will just take me ages to connect.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
andelstein
Fire Beetle

Whelp, in looking around the forums I've learned that downloaded copies do not work.

So I'm off to find my copy or pray it's at least available for digital download.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
andelstein
Fire Beetle

Sorry for the multiple posts but I can't seem to edit my posts.

But what? That doesn't make much sense. Why wouldn't a downloaded version work? It's a copy of a legit CD so what's different?

Plus I'm gonna be pretty cheesed off if I actually find the game, pay for it, install it again and that wasn't even the problem. Plus some other guy on the forums was showing up as legit on a server log and he said he had downloaded it.

Well, I can't afford the $15 monthly fee right now, nor do I think they should be charging that anymore. I think I'll just accept EQ as dead.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 PM
trevius
Developer

Another possible fix for dual/quad cores is to make sure windows is updated. Windows XP SP3 is out and it includes the fixes needed for correcting multiple core issues. There are also hotfixes you can download for SP2 without having to completely update to SP3 if you don't want to for whatever reason. Windows Vista should already have the needed updates.

Yet another thing to try if you are still having issues is to turn off CPU throttling by doing the following:

1. Right click on your desktop
2. Left click on Properties
3. Select the Screen Saver Tab
4. Click the "Power..." button in the lower right
5. Select "Always On" from the drop-down under Power Schemes
6. Click OK
7. Click OK

That will keep your processor from throttling, which means it will always stay at the same speed. The AMD Cool and Quite technology lets the PC change to slower speeds and lower voltage to make it run cooler and use less power, which is great for extending laptop battery time. But, it can cause issues with certain applications that don't know when the CPU is supposed to be running fast or slow, like EQ of course.

You may also want to make sure that all of your hardware is compatible, if you recently built a new PC. I found an issue that caused EQ to lag out like crazy every 30 seconds or so and then go back to normal. Turned out my CPU was not compatible with my MB even though it was in the same family of CPUs that were listed as being supported. Apparently, there are issues with some MBs and the new 125W Dual and Quad Core CPUs.

That is most of the fixes I am aware of. There are a couple others, but they are more complex like Registry edits, and don't have much chance of fixing the problem if these fixes didn't work already.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM
riff
Fire Beetle

I have tried all those things and none of them seem to work

note* i am running XP

on a XPS Dell laptop (kinda old, from 06)

should run the game perfectly

what do u recommend i do>?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 AM
trevius
Developer

What is the problem you are having? The more details you provide, the better. Also, have you tried reading the FAQ linked in my sig yet?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
riff
Fire Beetle

yah ive read the FAQ...

im running eq titanium... im using runFirst to start it.. it login's perfectly fine... then i just click on any of the servers and it doesnt start.. ive tried a lot of things.. idk what to do next..
Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
trevius
Developer

And you tried the suggestions here from the FAQ?:

I can log into the Server Select screen, but when I try to connect, the screen goes black and then goes to the login screen again.
There are multiple reasons that could be causing this. Here are some of them:

1. Most likely you are running the wrong version of Everquest. Only Legal copies of Everquest Titanium completely unpatched will work.
2. You may want to try other servers to make sure that it isn't a problem on that particular server.
3. If you live in a dorm or are playing at work, you might be using a proxy that is blocking port 5998, which means you won't be able to connect.
4. If you are running a P2P or Torrent program, it might be using all of your bandwidth. Try turning them all off.
5. You may have a firewall that is blocking EQ. Disable all firewalls.
6. If you are running a Dual Core CPU or Windows Vista, you will probably need to read the following post and apply at least one of the fixes listed in it:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...t=25327∞

1. You may need to adjust your Windows Desktop and/or your Everquest Resolution settings.
2. Try resetting your router. If that doesn't help, try connecting your PC directly to your cable/dsl modem and see if that helps.

You can also try changing your video card drivers and see if that helps. The only other reason I know of would be if your version of EQ is wrong. If you patched even a little by mistake, it won't work. Try reinstalling from scratch. And, is your copy of EQ a legal retail copy?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Agent00Funk
Fire Beetle

Default Can't zone...

Hi,

Thanks in advance for bringing EQ back and thanks in advance for helping me with this issue.

Here is my problem; I cannot zone. When I go from one zone to another the game freezes or hangs. For example I started a halfling toon and anytime I go from Rivervale to Misty Thicket (or vice versa) the game either a. freezes/crashes b. kicks me back to the login screen or c. takes painfully long to load. The same thing happens when I die, so I am bound in Misty Thicket, yet when I die I experience the same problem. I realize the solution to the second part of my problem is just to die less but it is still terribly annoying that I need to spend 10 min logging in just to spend a few min running around before needing to spend 10 min logging in again. I still have trouble logging in sometimes (takes me about 5-6 tries), but whatever, if the zoning issues wouldn't happen then I wouldn't care how long it takes me to log in. What is strange is that when it crashes or kicks me back to the log in screen I am in the zone I am supposed to be in e.g. I go from Rivervale to Misty thicket, it crashes, I log back in and I am in Misty thicket. So The action is being completed, but not without me having to log back in. This happens about 90% of the time, only about 10% of the time will it just take a really long time to put me in the new zone.

Anyway, I have set the game to run in compatibility mode to XP, I have set the affinity to 0cpu (as you suggested in other threads). But am not sure what else to do. I don't have a modem/router, I connect to the internet via ADSL, my network cable just plugs directly in the wall, I assume that means I am on some sort of network...by the way I am connecting from China (not sure if that has any bearing on the issue).

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this whole zoning problem?

Thanks

Last edited by Agent00Funk; 09-25-2010 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: grammar/spelling/clarification