Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Feature Requests

Development::Feature Requests Post suggestions/feature requests here.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Default proposition for a new NPC special

As you know "W" in npc special means that you need magic weapon to attack it. IN Db there is a line which determines when pets get magic attack.
I belive this also defaults to mobs.

However what I propose, is that instead of making this universal set a new special letter which will determine on a single mob bases if they posses a magical weapon. (since pets also defined in npc tables, this will be true for them as well)

this will grant ability of great variation in designing mobs and pets. Instead of ALL pets automaticly having magic attack at level X - you can make it so that only certain types of them do. For exmaple for mage - imagine that Earth pet while the strongest - does not have a magic attack, while air pet does (but much much weaker) - this means that earth pet would great vs normal mobs, but cannot be used againt magic only mobs.

this is just single exmaple of how can this feature can be used, but I can think of many scenarios (including mobs as well) where this could help in creating custom content (think of a quest where 1 group of NPC fights another group of NPC and is unable to to hit them, and your job would be go around and give the first group magical weapons)

simular flag could be implemented to allow mob/npc/pet to hit Bane only creatures
Old 10-25-2008, 05:56 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

I decided to bump this to see if perhaps I could get an official opinion from some of our devs

once again in short the idea to implement a special flag which will be set on mob to mob specific case if such mob/npc/pet posses a Magical Weapon (preferably an additional separate flag to overcome Bane restriction)

thank you for your time
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
AndMetal
Developer

My concern about your scenario is that, if you give someone a magic weapon, they can hit. So, why not just carry around a magical weapon (or summon one) for your pet?

There is already a rule, Combat:PetAttackMagicLevel(30), that gives pets magical attacks at level 30 by default. You could always increase that to something like 100, and they shouldn't get it unless the pet is level 100+. Then, you could figure out a way to get a magical weapon for that particular pet (player quests, modify spells_us.txt to summon an item, etc).

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 10-27-2008, 04:35 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
My concern about your scenario is that, if you give someone a magic weapon, they can hit. So, why not just carry around a magical weapon (or summon one) for your pet?

There is already a rule, Combat:PetAttackMagicLevel(30), that gives pets magical attacks at level 30 by default. You could always increase that to something like 100, and they shouldn't get it unless the pet is level 100+. Then, you could figure out a way to get a magical weapon for that particular pet (player quests, modify spells_us.txt to summon an item, etc).
well that depends on how your server set up. on my server I plan to have magic weapons to be ULTRA RARE and non summonable. it would be a major waste to give them to pets.

Another thing - even with given weaposn you won't be able to achive a condition where one pet can always hit magic while other can never hit magic - since weapon can be given to both pets just as easily breaking the system I am intent to set up

also this does not adress problem with NPCs: if I want to specificly make npcs who will or will not be able to hit magic - specialy if for exmaple some of player pets are set to be immune to non-magic weapons

So even if pets can be wroked around with current system, there is no way to enforce or prevent NPCs from having magic weapons by choice
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
steve
Discordant

You can't expect the project to add code specific rules/conditions for things that just you 'might possibly' use on your server. Most people are running live-like servers, with very few differences from live.

Customization and more options is always nice, but I think this would be at the very bottom of the priority list, right after getting the project caught up to Live (if that ever even happens).
Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
You can't expect the project to add code specific rules/conditions for things that just you 'might possibly' use on your server. Most people are running live-like servers, with very few differences from live.

Customization and more options is always nice, but I think this would be at the very bottom of the priority list, right after getting the project caught up to Live (if that ever even happens).

those things gets added all the time at devs vim
and as a matter of fact most people running custom content
and cathign up with LIVE wise- half of features I propose has been allready long implemented on LIVE in expansions beyond T.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
KLS
Administrator

I don't see any problem with this, perhaps the bane thing would be a bit complicated, but certainly could do a magic attack special code without issue.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:39 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

One Live Like use of this change are guards. So yeah, I can get behind it also.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
One Live Like use of this change are guards. So yeah, I can get behind it also.
good thinking Cavedude! I havent even thgout of that - otherwise guards won't be able to protect players from magic only creatures, unless you make them all spawn with magic weapons - which then in turn you have to make non-player useable to prevent players from farming those weapons, which creates a whole new chain of work arounds. which imho complitly unnesesary.

Simply been able to give npc innate ability to hit magic not only solve this problem - it also gives WIDE range of oportunities for developing more complex content. (of course don't forget to make npc nuturaly NOT be able to hit magic - so certain npcs can be prevented from having this ability where needed) =)
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Guys I am reading the changelog file and I see:

KLS: Added Special Attack hit magical 'm' and special attack hit bane 'b', will allow the mobs affected to hit things that require magical or bane weapons to hit.

So this REALy got implemented? HURRAY!!

this works for pets too right? so i can now get rid of the
Combat:PetAttackMagicLevel ?

and npc will NOt automaticly hit magic unles they have the new flags?

just trying to get everything confirmed
Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 AM
KLS
Administrator

You can blame cavedude and his persistence on that actually getting done. /glare
Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

ut ist a GREAt feature =)

So I thank you both

Speaking of which, a number of other feature suggestiosn come to midn some of which even recived positive support from you guys, but kind of got forgottent about - lets look them over =)

Disscussion about Min and Max level to get XP in the zone, as well as Max level to be allowed to enter the zone:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24648

A disscussion about rare wares for merchants:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26391

Proposition abotu adding quest command to give/take/reset AA to a player:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27380

Proposition of using worn effect modifiers as alternative spells focuses 9we discussed this one with you over PMs - you said it was easy =)

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27555

#5 Discussion abotu improvign keyring handling
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27454

#6 Discussion about improving weather control (even supported by cavedude!!) =)

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...hlight=weather

/em looks at KLS in awe and keeps his fingers crossed
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

found one more:

Discussion about removal of low level dmg cap:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27156
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
You can blame cavedude and his persistence on that actually getting done. /glare
Hey! I let you out of your 2'x2' cage for meals don't I?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
vales
Discordant

LOL!

LCD Monitor - $140
Cup of Joe - $7.50

The imagery of the above comment when read and spitting coffee on your monitor... Priceless.