Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
trevius
Developer

Default Update on the New Login Server - Please Read!

I just received an update from Cavedude that explains the state of the new Login Server solution that is in the works. It also explains why the new solution is taking a while to come into effect.

KLS, WildcardX and Cavedude have all been working on a new plan to solve all of our Login Server issues for good. This solution will give us full redundancy and also remove the security risks that can occur with the current LS. I can't really talk about all of the details of it, because some things are still being finalized. But, what I can say is that the new system will completely change how the current login process works. My understanding of it so far is that there will be a new app that clients will download and setup to use for handling at least part of the Login Process. The Login Server code to handle this has been completely re-written from scratch and works in a totally new way from any previous Login Server. The code for the new LS is almost completely done now. This also requires that we change the server code in all SVN releases after this change occurs so that it will only work with this new Login Server as the old one will be completely obsolete.

EDIT: The statement about EQEmu only working with the new LS system is false. Mini-Login will still work with it and this new Login Server will just be another option on top of those that should provide a permanent solution to all Login problems. This correction was made by Cavedude later in this thread, but I felt it was needed to make note of it here as well.

I believe that once doodman is able to hand the accounts table over to KLS, the new LS should be pretty much ready to go. I do not have an update on what will happen with the forums/wiki, but we are hoping to get that from doodman as well soon. Once this happens, I think we will probably be able to use some simple web-hosting to handle the forums/website/wiki.

KLS has every penny that has been donated accounted for. It hasn't been decided yet what will be done with the donations yet, but if it is decided that they are not needed, everyone who donated will get their money returned to them. Though, it is likely that the team will still be responsible for some form of hosting to keep the forums/website/wiki running and also for a place to download the new client app from. The donations may be needed to pay for that hosting. I don't know the full details on what will happen with the donations yet, but I am positive that whatever happens to it, it will be something that the community can agree on. I know KLS feels a heavy weight on her shoulders for having taken donations in the first place, but at the time, we were at risk of losing everything (the LS, and the forums/wiki/etc) very quickly and taking donations was the quickest solution to make sure that all wasn't lost. After that point, the current hosting was paid for another month because doodman didn't cancel it in time, so that gave the team considerably more time to work out a proper permanent solution. I just want to make sure that everyone is perfectly clear that the team will be doing the "right thing" with the donations that have already been sent and that there will be more updates on them in the future.

In summary; A new permanent Login Server solution is in the works and almost done. Please just try to be patient as this whole situation is actually alot more complex than most people might think. I will provide more updates to the community as I hear them. Many thanks to all of the team supporters that have been patient through all of this. We all know how frustrating this issue is, but hopefully it won't be much longer now.

Last edited by trevius; 03-31-2009 at 05:50 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
MarglarTZ
Sarnak

right on, thanks for the update.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
pgoodr0708
Fire Beetle

thanks for update im more looking forward to hearing news on login issues than playing the game haha...really appreciate the work you guys do to help you and ourselves play and enjoy the game
Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

will there be a minilogin version, or still have the option to use Images minilogin? I really hope this does not force users to be stuck with out options.

Quote:
This also requires that we change the server code in all SVN releases after this change occurs so that it will only work with this new Login Server as the old one will be completely obsolete.
I really Hope this will have an option at compile time?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I just received an update from Cavedude that explains the state of the new Login Server solution that is in the works. It also explains why the new solution is taking a while to come into effect.

KLS, WildcardX and Cavedude have all been working on a new plan to solve all of our Login Server issues for good. This solution will give us full redundancy and also remove the security risks that can occur with the current LS. I can't really talk about all of the details of it, because some things are still being finalized. But, what I can say is that the new system will completely change how the current login process works. My understanding of it so far is that there will be a new app that clients will download and setup to use for handling at least part of the Login Process. The Login Server code to handle this has been completely re-written from scratch and works in a totally new way from any previous Login Server. The code for the new LS is almost completely done now. This also requires that we change the server code in all SVN releases after this change occurs so that it will only work with this new Login Server as the old one will be completely obsolete.

I believe that once doodman is able to hand the accounts table over to KLS, the new LS should be pretty much ready to go. I do not have an update on what will happen with the forums/wiki, but we are hoping to get that from doodman as well soon. Once this happens, I think we will probably be able to use some simple web-hosting to handle the forums/website/wiki.

KLS has every penny that has been donated accounted for. It hasn't been decided yet what will be done with the donations yet, but if it is decided that they are not needed, everyone who donated will get their money returned to them. Though, it is likely that the team will still be responsible for some form of hosting to keep the forums/website/wiki running and also for a place to download the new client app from. The donations may be needed to pay for that hosting. I don't know the full details on what will happen with the donations yet, but I am positive that whatever happens to it, it will be something that the community can agree on. I know KLS feels a heavy weight on her shoulders for having taken donations in the first place, but at the time, we were at risk of losing everything (the LS, and the forums/wiki/etc) very quickly and taking donations was the quickest solution to make sure that all wasn't lost. After that point, the current hosting was paid for another month because doodman didn't cancel it in time, so that gave the team considerably more time to work out a proper permanent solution. I just want to make sure that everyone is perfectly clear that the team will be doing the "right thing" with the donations that have already been sent and that there will be more updates on them in the future.

In summary; A new permanent Login Server solution is in the works and almost done. Please just try to be patient as this whole situation is actually alot more complex than most people might think. I will provide more updates to the community as I hear them. Many thanks to all of the team supporters that have been patient through all of this. We all know how frustrating this issue is, but hopefully it won't be much longer now.
Nice status quo I would say. Anyone who wants to be able to continue working with the current LS I released I suggest staying on your code base. This could be an attempt to lock back into a single LS again.

Edit: I say this as a warning because this is so vague about the real issue.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.

Last edited by image; 03-31-2009 at 03:29 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
pgoodr0708
Fire Beetle

I never did understand the minilogin process if anyone could help me figure that out I would really appreciate it
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Stappy
Fire Beetle

Great job...but do you mean soon as in the next few hours, days, weeks? Just want to not sit at my desk if im not playing.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Demi-God

Trevius' reply below.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:42 PM
WillowyLady
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
Nice status quo I would say. Anyone who wants to be able to continue working with the current LS I released I suggest staying on your code base. This could be an attempt to lock back into a single LS again.

Could you be so kind enough to elaborate on the "real issue?"

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowyLady View Post
Could you be so kind enough to elaborate on the "real issue?"
They are breaking every previous release of the emu that currently runs on the login server, you will have to upgrade (for some server owners that means compiling in new code) - thats how I read it
Old 03-30-2009, 07:49 PM
trevius
Developer

Trying to answer as many questions here as possible. Though, most of my answers will have to be pure speculation for now unless I mention otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslamarch View Post
will there be a minilogin version, or still have the option to use Images minilogin? I really hope this does not force users to be stuck with out options.

Quote:
This also requires that we change the server code in all SVN releases after this change occurs so that it will only work with this new Login Server as the old one will be completely obsolete.
I really Hope this will have an option at compile time?
All current Login Servers and Mini-Login Servers will no longer be compatible with the future EQEmu code updates. This is because of the major overhaul to the entire Login System and it would be pointless to try to create code to handle both the old and the new, as the new code should handle every aspect of the Login process. This is to say that I believe for Public and Private Servers, they will both be able to use this new solution to serve their needs and not have to rely on a Public Login Server for it to work. I haven't heard the full details on it, but I am sure the solution would also cover LAN play for people who are not connected to the internet. So, you will not even need an option at compile time

Quote:

Yes, you are right that anyone switching to the new Login Server options will no longer be able to use the code updates from EQEmu as they won't be compatible once the new system comes into effect. And yes, part of it is so that the EQEmu team who develops the code for the server also takes responsibility for how the users Login to their servers running that code. While some may think that this might be so we can control the users, it is actually so we can provide reliability to them while also ensuring that they are using a service that they can fully trust.

Also, yes it is vague, but that is mostly because the final details haven't been worked out. Also, I have said almost everything I have been informed about it so far, but I will definitely be clarifying the details as I hear them and get approval to pass on the information to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stappy View Post
Great job...but do you mean soon as in the next few hours, days, weeks? Just want to not sit at my desk if im not playing.
You know as much as I do at this point as far as an ETA goes. It definitely isn't hours away, but maybe a few days or a week or so is more reasonable. This is all still heavily reliant on doodman to pass the needed information to the team so it can be finalized. It is being worked on as hard as is possible right now, and believe me that we want it as bad as everyone else does, if not more!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

I guess we will have to wait to see how this works out, but I'm very nervous at this point!!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
WillowyLady
Sarnak

Quote:
They are breaking every previous release of the emu that currently runs on the login server, you will have to upgrade (for some server owners that means compiling in new code) - thats how I read it
Oh dear, took me a few years to get this far. If that is the case, I do really hope it will be painless, as possible transition.

Live is not an option, again!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Necx
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
All current Login Servers and Mini-Login Servers will no longer be compatible with the future EQEmu code updates. This is because of the major overhaul to the entire Login System and it would be pointless to try to create code to handle both the old and the new, as the new code should handle every aspect of the Login process. This is to say that I believe for Public and Private Servers, they will both be able to use this new solution to serve their needs and not have to rely on a Public Login Server for it to work. I haven't heard the full details on it, but I am sure the solution would also cover LAN play for people who are not connected to the internet. So, you will not even need an option at compile time
Ouch... I don't like were this is headed.. This would hurt a lot of servers. I Hope this is incorrect..

Minilogin /sniffle you will be missed.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Well since this is open source and other login server option are out there, A fork of the project could work at this point?