Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Woodstick
Fire Beetle

Default Maeson Trueshot bugged?

I'm playing a ranger and want to embark on the trueshot longbowquests.

When talking to Maeson Trueshot in Kelethin I get to the point where I say "gather materials". Instead of getting a list of materials and container I am told that I am "not a foe but has not yet earned our trust"? This is very strange since I have maximum faction with the Faydark Warriors.

Anyone have any clue about this?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Here is the portion of the quest file that explains the problem:

Code:
if(($text=~/gather materials/i) && ($class eq "Ranger")) {
    if($faction > 4) { #Needs better than indifferent
      quest::say("Take this pack. Go to Kaladim, find Trantor Everhot and ask for dwarven wire. Then go to Freeport to meet Jyle Windshot. Search the inns for him and ask him for treant wood. Then, collect some spiderling silk from spiderlings and finally, in Steamfont, we have the permission of the gnomes to use any micro servos we find while destroying rogue spiders. Combine them all and return the pack to me.");
      quest::summonitem(17951); #Material Pack
    }
    else {
      quest::say("Faydark's Champions cannot call you foe, but you have yet to earn our trust.");
    }
It says that the faction for a positive response needs to be greater than 4 (indifferent). Here's the listing of faction levels by number, according to the Wiki:

1: Ally
2: Warmly
3: Kindly
4: Amiably
5: Indifferent
6: Scowls
7: threatenly
8: Dubious
9: Apprehensive

I'm not sure that that's actually correct, as they're out of order. Dubious and apprehensive should not be at the bottom of the list, as they're definitely more towards the middle of the scale. Can anyone come along and explain how it actually looks in the code? It should actually look like this:

6: Apprehensive
7: Dubious
8: Threateningly
9: Scowls

In any case, switching the operator from > (greater than) to < (less than) should solve the issue. I'll make the change now, but I'd still like to see someone confirm that the code is correct and that it's the Wiki that is wrong.

Also, I'm not sure what server you play on, but the server operator will have to pull down the most recent revision of the ProjectEQ quest files before you will see any difference. Thanks for the post =)
Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Woodstick
Fire Beetle

Thanks SO_1337 for looking into this.

I thought it was only me beeing a newb, but evidently the code is wrong if people who are indifferent or worse standing are the ones who can do the quest.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Dibalamin
Hill Giant

6: Scowls
7: threatenly
8: Dubious
9: Apprehensive

$faction > 4 would require kindly or better to do the quest
$faction => 4 would require amiably or better (most quests take this)
$faction =>5 would require indiff or better

If you are using the other faction levels for a quest, you'd be better off not requring a check.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:10 AM
So_1337
Dragon

No, it seems that the operator for the quest was set incorrectly as I showed. Pulling an example from Loremaster Zorik's quest file in Thurgadin:

Code:
 if ($faction <= 3) { # Require warmly and greater faction
I wasn't arguing the way that the scale goes (ally factions low, KOS high), but rather the placement of dubious and apprehensive at the high end of the spectrum, as well as scowling and threatening being interchanged. Regardless of those issues, all that was making this quest file incorrect was the fact that it was checking for faction greater than indifferent (4), so it wanted you to be worse off than indifferent.

I'd still like to know about those faction levels =) Those really don't seem correct, but I can't check out the code for myself to know.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Woodstick
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_1337 View Post
I'd still like to know about those faction levels =) Those really don't seem correct, but I can't check out the code for myself to know.
Yes, it seems incomprehensible that someone would set the described order with good concious. If the scale is really set as described there must be some historic reason for it.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Woodstick
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibalamin View Post
$faction > 4 would require kindly or better to do the quest
$faction => 4 would require amiably or better (most quests take this)
$faction =>5 would require indiff or better
You got it backwards,

> 4 means 5,6,7...
=> 4 means 4,5,6...
=> 5 means 5,6,7...