Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 AM
paaco
Discordant

Default Vista + Dual Core = Headache

Anyone here running Vista and a dual core cpu on Everquest? I have searched around and found the Windows XP Dual Core fix but can't get EQ to run properly on my Vista install. With GM Speed on I can cross a zone in about 3 seconds now lol :( Upgraded my current PC to try and get everything I can out of this Socket 939 board before I upgrade hehe ;p

AMD Opteron 170 @ 2.5ghz
Geforce 8800GTS
Windows Vista Business
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Arag
Sarnak

im going to instal vista tommorow or sunday i wil let you know how it works out for me

Intel Core(TM)2 CPU
6400 @ 2,13GHZ
2Gb Ram
Geforce 6800Gs
Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 AM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

I have been running Vista for about 2 months now. I have not had any problems with Everquest at all, run just fine for me.

Dual Core P4 3.2Ghz
1GB DDR2 Ram
Geforce 6800
Windows Vista Home Premium
Old 03-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Arag
Sarnak

Windows Vista Business
works great for me!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Kilur
Fire Beetle

Running Vista Business + 3800 X2 without problems. I did use the XP fix to set affinity to 1 processor though.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM
paaco
Discordant

Hmm not sure why it hates me then. Wonder if EQ has issues with 8800 Video Cards or something :(
Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
morganpartee
Sarnak

lol ive personally leanred that any new microsoft OS is bad for a while...XP sucked for about a year...lol

Vista home on teh 2nd comp hither...HATE IT OMG...New Security features SUUUUCK...
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM
gernblan
Discordant

Vista BLOWS.

Seriously, avoid it. You'd be better off running Windows ME.

Vista = worst OS release ever by Microsoft.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast
Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 AM
paaco
Discordant

Vista isn't so bad. Once you turn off all of the BS security stuff that comes with it. It is very stable. I don't think I have had it crash once yet. I did change all the menus and everything to look like Windows XP though lol.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

I'm still on the fence about buying it now. Anyone have a suggestion which version of Vista is suitable for personal use?

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 PM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

I would recommend Home Premium unless you need to be able to Remote Desktop into your Home PC as Home Premium does not come with this feature, for that you will have to purchase a business edition (which do not include any of the media center features or the new Aero interface) or Ultimate edition, which includes everything; however, it will cost you an arm and a both legs. As for stability I can say that I have been using the Release version of it for about 2 and a half months now and have not had it crash once on me. The biggest problem you will run into will be Device Drivers. Microsoft has done a good job with integrating drivers for things such as Printer and Scanners but I would recommend running the Upgrade Adviser (you can download it from somewhere on microsoft.com) and running that first. It will let you know what hardware and software might cause problems. Also check hardware manufacture website for any other devices you are unsure about to see if they have released vista compatible drivers yet. And I know that you (GeorgeS) probably know to do all these things as it is, I just thought this would be a good place to give a general overview for others while it was some what on topic. I hope this helps some and good luck with your upgrade.