Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:10 AM
titan_g
Fire Beetle

Default Secrets of Faydwer

So, what servers are rockin' SoF? I know Storm Haven is, and it's looking really good so far.

Was wondering if anyone else is using this client and what, if any, new content is there.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

Unfortunately for you, majority of the members of this community come back to relive the old days they remember, which for very few includes the newest content. While many servers will support SoF over time, I have doubts about the content. Your best bet is going to be the SH server or PEQ server.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:11 PM
trevius
Developer

It is still pretty early and SoF compatibility with EQEmu is not officially caught up to Titanium yet. It is mostly there, but we need to get AAs finalized and get a few minor fixes in before it is fully ready for people to completely switch to SoF. Though, once it is finally complete, I think we will see more and more servers popping up with it and new content will start trickling in.

Even though Yeormom might be right that some people come here for the classic aspect/possibility, I don't believe it is the majority. If everyone wanted classic here, there would be a classic server that lasts more than 1 month, but there isn't. I think quite a few people are excited to see new content and the more people that get the SoF client, the more we will see admins creating content for it. I am pretty hyped about SoF, but I am a bit biased :P

Also, I would probably have more content done for SoF (still working to finish Crescent Reach), but I am still busy trying to get some of the new systems in that I want to use in it as well as trying to help finish SoF so that the client can be a permanent choice for people. Once that is done, we should be able to make an official announcement. And I think many people are holding off on buying it until it is fully completed and official. I am hoping to have it done before newegg.com runs out of stock on SoF and people lose their chance to get it for 5$ with free shipping.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

I used the phrase "old days" to include more than just classic but the more common occurrence being EverQuest during it's prime, which was Velious/Luclin and maybe PoP if you started late.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, I know what you meant. I just think that the reason we don't see servers using post-PoP is because that is all that PEQ or AX go up to. The only ones using later zones are custom servers. Though, custom servers make up a large percentage of the player-base. And most of them use quite a few non-classic-type zones.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
titan_g
Fire Beetle

I think people are more into the customizable nature of EQ content rather than reliving the old days. And there's nothing wrong with either choice. It's just when I play on a server, you usually end up seeing the same zones, the same mobs, the same loot, basically the same content, over and over, and I'm ready for a change. I would like to check out all the expansions I never got to on Live, and all the unique features each one brings. Just running around new zones will be nice.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Dibalamin
Hill Giant

Quote:
...there would be a classic server that lasts more than 1 month, but there isn't.
You make me sad in the pants =(. We've been working since November =).
Old 05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

the problem with "classic" servers that on day 1 people go all "omg omg omg! i rememebr that one from 99!!! omg omg omg! and than from 2001! And that was my first solo named! I that was my first raid!" and by the end of the week they have allready re-visited all the favorite spots they rememeber from the old days and go back to play on SH =)

when I first got to emu the FIRST thing I did is went to the server that lets you summon any items, gave myself best things posible and went and kill the prototype bot in PoI I always wanted to kill for one specific drop. Then I went to VT and killed Aten Ha Ra... and then my "classic nostalgy" was satisfied and I started making my own ULTRA custom server
Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM
SuperFunTime
Fire Beetle

Is there any really good custom server? I agree that old content is old, and new content is new.

So many are just so poorly tuned. If you're going to make a server, you should make it in notepad imo for about a month before you even touch the hosting software.

I've seen custom servers where Crush is dropping EP BPs and if anyone else is in the zone you have to queue up for 20 mins a time to get your drop, despite hittin max level for the zone because it's the best BP you'll see for sometime.

The key to a good server is level speed vs things to do in any given level range.

The worst thing about some of those 'epic crushbones' is that all epic are on a random for all mobs and if you get unlucky it can take hours to get your epic heh. It's like, put an NPC in somewhere and have them drop tokens or something.

If I was making a server I'd prolly design about 4-5 tiers of loot. Specific slots would drop in specific areas and I'd offer foci on augs too. And I'd tune the next level of content so that all your questing in that one actually felt worth it too.

/mourn the katana server. We had a lot of fun on that 2 x 3 boxing all their raid content heh. But the progression felt worthwhile. Beating Inktu'ta took everything.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

SuperFunTime - hopefuly I will deliver exactly the server you looking for =)
Our Crushone is lev 35+ and not even in Gfay

With little luck we will open up for trial Alpha run in 4 weeks